Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How to use the solution of Study 1 to Study 2? (Initial Condition of the Study 2 will be the final condition of Study 1)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello! I am modeling a conjugate heat transfer problem. It is a closed channel flow of air and a thin liquid film at the bottom surface. In comsol model, first I like to add study for steady state case with no liquid film. Then I like to add the water film and run a time dependent in-transient case. For the 2nd Study, I need to solve for energy, and it would take the velocity profile of the steady state solution as the initial condition.
My first question is, to add liquid film, do I need to add New Component in my comsol? and the second question is, how can I use the steady state solution for previous study to initiate the second study?

4 Replies Last Post 27.01.2016, 06:24 GMT-5

Posted: 8 years ago 26.01.2016, 04:36 GMT-5
Hi

Loot at the attachment.

BR
Lasse
Hi Loot at the attachment. BR Lasse

Posted: 8 years ago 26.01.2016, 04:38 GMT-5
Sorry, in the "Method" box ,an option "Solution" must be selected.
Sorry, in the "Method" box ,an option "Solution" must be selected.

Posted: 8 years ago 26.01.2016, 14:47 GMT-5
I have done this but it is showing this message:
please find the attachments. I have also attached the comsol file.
In study 1 I need to solve only the Laminar Flow (spf). So on study 1, Step1Stationary, I only checked the box for spf and unchecked the conjugate heat transfer (nitf).
Then study 2, I have solved for Conjugate heat transfer (nitf) by unchecking the spf. and checked the ''Initial values of variables solved for'' and selected Study 1 for study option. but it shows error. Would you please have a look. Thank you.
I have done this but it is showing this message: please find the attachments. I have also attached the comsol file. In study 1 I need to solve only the Laminar Flow (spf). So on study 1, Step1Stationary, I only checked the box for spf and unchecked the conjugate heat transfer (nitf). Then study 2, I have solved for Conjugate heat transfer (nitf) by unchecking the spf. and checked the ''Initial values of variables solved for'' and selected Study 1 for study option. but it shows error. Would you please have a look. Thank you.

Posted: 8 years ago 27.01.2016, 06:24 GMT-5
Hi

I solved your model with version 5.2 without any trouble. In Initial values of variables solved for, I changed Selection to Automatic.

Did you get the warning "This multiphysics interface is obsolete and will be removed in a future version.
A new version of the multiphysics coupling is available from the Add Physics window. "?

BR
Lasse
Hi I solved your model with version 5.2 without any trouble. In Initial values of variables solved for, I changed Selection to Automatic. Did you get the warning "This multiphysics interface is obsolete and will be removed in a future version. A new version of the multiphysics coupling is available from the Add Physics window. "? BR Lasse

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.