Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Planar RF inductor

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I need to find S-parameter for an on-chip inductor. I am finding difficulty in defining the input and output ports (which type of port should i select 'lumped port' or 'normal port'), and how to define ground port. I have attached the .mph file.
After finding the S-parameters, and converting them to Y-parameter, the calculated inductance value using modified Wheeler formula should be around 4.7 or 4.8 nH

2 Replies Last Post 15.01.2016, 22:43 GMT-5

Posted: 9 years ago 14.01.2016, 15:06 GMT-5
A couple notes about your model:

1) using lupmed ports is ok as you will be able to find impedance values.

2) in the emw physics node, you will need to select actual faces (or boundaries in comsol speak) of your traces in order to simulate. right now all of your traces are selected in the PEC node 2. your traces are made up of a bunch of rectangular boxes, which is fine, but maybe you could define one side as being the actual trace carry current. you can use PECs for this or apply transistion bounday conditions to the select traces as this will allow one to simulate using copper, silver, etc. you can then call these boxes all air domain. likewise, you could just use a 2D workplane instead of all of the extrusions you did to build your rectangular inductor and extrude later if need be. check this model for some help too in applying lumped ports:

www.comsol.com/model/branch-line-coupler-11727

3) you need to add a free tetrahedral to your mesh. right now it is just a size node, which makes it an uncomplete mesh.

your model can be simulated as is but you will just need to take care in applying the physics.
A couple notes about your model: 1) using lupmed ports is ok as you will be able to find impedance values. 2) in the emw physics node, you will need to select actual faces (or boundaries in comsol speak) of your traces in order to simulate. right now all of your traces are selected in the PEC node 2. your traces are made up of a bunch of rectangular boxes, which is fine, but maybe you could define one side as being the actual trace carry current. you can use PECs for this or apply transistion bounday conditions to the select traces as this will allow one to simulate using copper, silver, etc. you can then call these boxes all air domain. likewise, you could just use a 2D workplane instead of all of the extrusions you did to build your rectangular inductor and extrude later if need be. check this model for some help too in applying lumped ports: http://www.comsol.com/model/branch-line-coupler-11727 3) you need to add a free tetrahedral to your mesh. right now it is just a size node, which makes it an uncomplete mesh. your model can be simulated as is but you will just need to take care in applying the physics.

Posted: 9 years ago 15.01.2016, 22:43 GMT-5
Thank you for your reply,

I have done all the things you have mentioned, due to the size restrictions for uploading the file, I had to remove mesh and results.

The results I got are very much deviated from the actual value, I am not understanding where I have messed up.
Thank you for your reply, I have done all the things you have mentioned, due to the size restrictions for uploading the file, I had to remove mesh and results. The results I got are very much deviated from the actual value, I am not understanding where I have messed up.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.