Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Troubles of a new user

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

Although I have some experience with FEM, I am a new user of Comsol. I am trying to solve a simple problem in 3D: a square section solenoid with an iron core. After the definition of the materials and current at the winding block, I tried to compute the study, but I got the following message of errors:

" Attempt to evaluate negative power of zero.
- Function: ^
Failed to evaluate temporary symbolic derivative variable.
- Variable: mod1.mf.murzz@VDN$mod1.curlAz
- Defined as: (dmod1.mat2.def.MUR_dx1((sqrt(((mod1.mf.Bz^2)+((mod1.mf.By^2)+(mod1.mf.Bx^2))))/unit_T_cf))*((1/unit_T_cf)*((2*mod1.mf.Bz)*((((mod1.mf.Bz^2)+((mod1.mf.By^2)+(mod1.mf.Bx^2)))^-0.5)*0.5))))
- Variable: mod1.mf.murinvzz@VDN$mod1.curlAz
- Defined as: (((dmod1.mat2.def.MUR_dx1((sqrt(((mod1.mf.Bz^2)+((mod1.mf.By^2)+(mod1.mf.Bx^2))))/unit_T_cf))*((1/unit_T_cf)*((2*mod1.mf.Bz)*((((mod1.mf.Bz^2)+((mod1.mf.By^2)+(mod1.mf.Bx^2)))^-0.5)*0.5)))))*((-1)/(mod1.mf.murzz^2)))
- Variable: mod1.mf.Hz@VDN$mod1.curlAz
- Defined as: ((1/mu0_const)*(mod1.mf.murinvzz+(mod1.mf.Bz*((((dmod1.mat2.def.MUR_dx1((sqrt(((mod1.mf.Bz^2)+((mod1.mf.By^2)+(mod1.mf.Bx^2))))/unit_T_cf))*((1/unit_T_cf)*((2*mod1.mf.Bz)*((((mod1.mf.Bz^2)+((mod1.mf.By^2)+(mod1.mf.Bx^2)))^-0.5)*0.5)))))*((-1)/(mod1.mf.murzz^2)))))))
Failed to evaluate expression.
- Expression: d(d((-mod1.mf.Hx*test(mod1.curlAx)-mod1.mf.Hy*test(mod1.curlAy)-mod1.mf.Hz*test(mod1.curlAz)+mod1.mf.Jx*test(mod1.Ax)+mod1.mf.Jy*test(mod1.Ay)+mod1.mf.Jz*test(mod1.Az))*(dvol),{test@3}),mod1.curlAz)"

However, when I just modify the material of the core to another kind (air, for example), the study is computed without problems.

Could somebody help me in this problem?

Thanks in advance.

1 Reply Last Post 05.10.2010, 02:11 GMT-4
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago 05.10.2010, 02:11 GMT-4
Hi

are you shure that your material data you are usig is not designed to take into account the local temperature "T" or pressure "p", and that you have not defined these as Constants/parameters ?

If you are using the material database, many of these are non linear driven by environmental variables.

When you start define your material constants yourself, or use the "Buil-In" materials tzhat are normal all "constants"

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi are you shure that your material data you are usig is not designed to take into account the local temperature "T" or pressure "p", and that you have not defined these as Constants/parameters ? If you are using the material database, many of these are non linear driven by environmental variables. When you start define your material constants yourself, or use the "Buil-In" materials tzhat are normal all "constants" -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.