Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Gas in a venturi pipe

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi there, I have recently tried to simulate a 2D gas flow in a venturi pipe. Unfortunately it always returns a convergence error. I am not sure if it is due to the boundary conditions I set for the pipe.

I attached the file of the venturi model and I wonder if someone could kindly take a look and perhaps give me some advice on how to make the model work.

Thanks in advance!

2 Replies Last Post 28.09.2009, 16:35 GMT-4

Posted: 1 decade ago 28.09.2009, 12:57 GMT-4
There are several issues I noticed with your model.

1- Your Reynolds number is ~ 55,000 meaning your flow is turbulent, but you are using a laminar flow model. This may not converge at all, or if it does the solution will be wrong. You need to use a turbulence model (if you have Chemical Engineering module). I suggest you use k-omega model in favor of k-epsilon if you can get it to work at all (I never could, but it is supposed to be the more physically realistic of the two models for confined flows)

2- your mesh at the entry leg seems too coarse.

3- This being a circular venturi pipe you need to use a 2D axisymmetric model, not just 2D.

4- with axial symmetry, be careful to model only one half of the pipe with the centerline lying on the symmetry axis.

These are just to set up the physical problem correctly. After doing all these you may still have convergence problems because turbulence is not easy to model. In that case you want to play with solver settings, and various turbulence modeling tuning parameters etc.

Good luck
Ozgur
There are several issues I noticed with your model. 1- Your Reynolds number is ~ 55,000 meaning your flow is turbulent, but you are using a laminar flow model. This may not converge at all, or if it does the solution will be wrong. You need to use a turbulence model (if you have Chemical Engineering module). I suggest you use k-omega model in favor of k-epsilon if you can get it to work at all (I never could, but it is supposed to be the more physically realistic of the two models for confined flows) 2- your mesh at the entry leg seems too coarse. 3- This being a circular venturi pipe you need to use a 2D axisymmetric model, not just 2D. 4- with axial symmetry, be careful to model only one half of the pipe with the centerline lying on the symmetry axis. These are just to set up the physical problem correctly. After doing all these you may still have convergence problems because turbulence is not easy to model. In that case you want to play with solver settings, and various turbulence modeling tuning parameters etc. Good luck Ozgur

Posted: 1 decade ago 28.09.2009, 16:35 GMT-4
Thanks Ozgur for your kind advice :)

I will make the amendments in my model and give it a run.
Thanks Ozgur for your kind advice :) I will make the amendments in my model and give it a run.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.