Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

mesh refinement

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear everybody,

I modeled a geometry (sphere) which inject some "mass flux". Around the sphere I wanna refine
the mesh locally because I get some irretational results for stress near the sphere. Is there any opportunity? I tried to apply a "boundary layer" but now the calculation runs to slowly. Next I tried to use the "adaptive mesh refinement" but the computing hasn't stopped.

I use a time-dependent study.

Thanks a lot!

Nastasja K.

1 Reply Last Post 20.10.2015, 22:06 GMT-4

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 9 years ago 20.10.2015, 22:06 GMT-4
Without knowing more about your problem, it seems you are trying to solve a 3D problem and are limited by your computers capabilities. If the boundary conditions on the sphere are uniform, you could take advantage of symmetry and reduce the geometry size. Your approach to trying to refine the mesh at the boundary seems sound. Another thing to check is that your boundary conditions and physics are well formulated and show convergence.

--
Steven Conrad, MD PhD
LSU Health
Without knowing more about your problem, it seems you are trying to solve a 3D problem and are limited by your computers capabilities. If the boundary conditions on the sphere are uniform, you could take advantage of symmetry and reduce the geometry size. Your approach to trying to refine the mesh at the boundary seems sound. Another thing to check is that your boundary conditions and physics are well formulated and show convergence. -- Steven Conrad, MD PhD LSU Health

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.