Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How severe will meshing break symmetry?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I have a question regarding meshing. My model has a continuous axial rotational symmetry. If I mesh the system, however, the meshing does not hold such a symmetry.

How severe does meshing break such symmetry? Can I impose an axial rotation symmetry in COMSOL? If not, is there anything I can do to minimize the errors induced by rotational asymmetric meshing?

Thanks in advance,

Yi

1 Reply Last Post 23.10.2015, 10:12 GMT-4
Robert Koslover Certified Consultant

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 9 years ago 23.10.2015, 10:12 GMT-4
The easiest way to impose axial symmetry is to build a 2D-axisym model. You simply don't need a 3D model to represent a physics problem with axial symmetry.
The easiest way to impose axial symmetry is to build a 2D-axisym model. You simply don't need a 3D model to represent a physics problem with axial symmetry.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.