Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Time dependent excess concentration

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello

Could anyone please explain me the physical concept of excess concentration (for example for anions)??
I was able to only model the ion concentration at boundaries or domains but what is the concept of excess concentration?

Regards

1 Reply Last Post 11.09.2015, 07:41 GMT-4

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 9 years ago 11.09.2015, 07:41 GMT-4
Hi

In terms of adsorption, excess concentration is defined as the deviation from the bulk concentration with respect to the concentration of the solvent, usually water. Look any physical chemistry textbook and "surface excess".

What comes to ion excess, there is none in the bulk of the solution due to electroneutrality. Only close to a charged surface (like an electrode) there is a deficit of like charges and excess of opposite charges. This region extends only a few Å into the solution. But this is what you have apparently already calculated.

Unlike excess enthalpy or entropy, excess concentration is not - at least to my knowledge - any generally accepted concept.

Lasse
Hi In terms of adsorption, excess concentration is defined as the deviation from the bulk concentration with respect to the concentration of the solvent, usually water. Look any physical chemistry textbook and "surface excess". What comes to ion excess, there is none in the bulk of the solution due to electroneutrality. Only close to a charged surface (like an electrode) there is a deficit of like charges and excess of opposite charges. This region extends only a few Å into the solution. But this is what you have apparently already calculated. Unlike excess enthalpy or entropy, excess concentration is not - at least to my knowledge - any generally accepted concept. Lasse

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.