Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

PML problem in solid mechanics

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi all,

I am working on a 2D axi-symmetry model in structural mechanics module to simulate wave propagation in semi-infinite half space caused by a sudden impulse. In this model, I put PML's outside (on the bottom and right side, while left boundary is symmetry axis) the solid block (half space) to avoid reflected waves, and the thickness of PML's are larger than the wavelength. I try to run this model in time domain analysis, but the PML's do not work and clear reflected waves are observed in the result. These PML's work well in frequency domain analysis, but I would like to obtain the time-history data of vertical displacement response at specific locations on the surface. Is there any way to make the PML's work, or any other way to avoid the reflected waves? Thanks in advance.

M. T.

1 Reply Last Post 24.03.2011, 05:39 GMT-4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Mario T.

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago 24.03.2011, 05:39 GMT-4
do you find the way to solve this question?
i also meet this question, someone tell me that PML is only used in frequency dommain, it can not work in time domain.

Hi all,

I am working on a 2D axi-symmetry model in structural mechanics module to simulate wave propagation in semi-infinite half space caused by a sudden impulse. In this model, I put PML's outside (on the bottom and right side, while left boundary is symmetry axis) the solid block (half space) to avoid reflected waves, and the thickness of PML's are larger than the wavelength. I try to run this model in time domain analysis, but the PML's do not work and clear reflected waves are observed in the result. These PML's work well in frequency domain analysis, but I would like to obtain the time-history data of vertical displacement response at specific locations on the surface. Is there any way to make the PML's work, or any other way to avoid the reflected waves? Thanks in advance.

M. T.

do you find the way to solve this question? i also meet this question, someone tell me that PML is only used in frequency dommain, it can not work in time domain. [QUOTE] Hi all, I am working on a 2D axi-symmetry model in structural mechanics module to simulate wave propagation in semi-infinite half space caused by a sudden impulse. In this model, I put PML's outside (on the bottom and right side, while left boundary is symmetry axis) the solid block (half space) to avoid reflected waves, and the thickness of PML's are larger than the wavelength. I try to run this model in time domain analysis, but the PML's do not work and clear reflected waves are observed in the result. These PML's work well in frequency domain analysis, but I would like to obtain the time-history data of vertical displacement response at specific locations on the surface. Is there any way to make the PML's work, or any other way to avoid the reflected waves? Thanks in advance. M. T. [/QUOTE]

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.