Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

electric circuit and magnetic field coupled models in 3D

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,
I would need to connect electric circuits to a multi-turn coil model to see transient voltage, current waveforms. As of now I would like to do it on top of the given 'Multi-Turn Coil Above an Asymmetric Conductor Plate' tutorial model. But from 2D model like 'Inductor_in_circuit' or 3D model like 'inductor_3D'; I'm unable to make proper modifications to use electric circuits in the multi-turn coil model in 3D and see transient response.
Can someone help me out on this to couple electric circuits with magnetic fields in 3D. Any help is highly appreciated. (I'm using comsol 4.3a)

Thanks and regards,
Tapabrata Sen

3 Replies Last Post 04.09.2015, 09:20 GMT-4
Nirmal Paudel COMSOL Employee

Posted: 9 years ago 02.09.2015, 15:06 GMT-4
Hi,

Please take a look at the following example which demonstrate the coupling between the "Single Turn Coil" in 3D with the "Electrical Circuit", but for stationary study. The coupling technique between the Coil and the Electrical Circuits interface is almost same for "Single Turn Coil" or "Multi-Turn Coil".

www.comsol.com/model/modeling-of-a-3d-inductor-10299

Hope this example will be useful.
Best Regards,
Nirmal Paudel
Hi, Please take a look at the following example which demonstrate the coupling between the "Single Turn Coil" in 3D with the "Electrical Circuit", but for stationary study. The coupling technique between the Coil and the Electrical Circuits interface is almost same for "Single Turn Coil" or "Multi-Turn Coil". http://www.comsol.com/model/modeling-of-a-3d-inductor-10299 Hope this example will be useful. Best Regards, Nirmal Paudel

Posted: 9 years ago 02.09.2015, 20:56 GMT-4
Thank you sir. Let me see this. Then I'll come back if I have some other query.

Regards,
Tapabrata Sen
Thank you sir. Let me see this. Then I'll come back if I have some other query. Regards, Tapabrata Sen

Posted: 9 years ago 04.09.2015, 09:20 GMT-4
Hi,
I've gone through the one you said sir and also other tutorials related to what I said earlier. But I should clarify a little more about what I want.
As I said I am following 'Multi-Turn Coil Above an Asymmetric Conductor Plate' tutorial, so this shows the effect of eddy current and also corresponding effects of magnetic field. Now in my circuit where I've used a sinusoidal current source of a definite frequency, the eddy current and magnetic field should also be time varying of same frequency. So I want to plot the magnetic field/eddy current sinusoidal response along with input sinusoidal to see time domain shift(in fact phase) in the response.
So sir firstly I'm confused with which study step should I use. In time dependent study there is only option to plot time domain signal of the coil or circuit components' voltage, current only. And in frequency response where all magnetic field parameters etc are there, I don't see a way to plot time signal of the magnetic field.
(I'm using Comsol 4.3a)
Hope I'm able to convey my point. I'm looking forward that someone will help me out.

Thank and regards,
Tapabrata Sen
Hi, I've gone through the one you said sir and also other tutorials related to what I said earlier. But I should clarify a little more about what I want. As I said I am following 'Multi-Turn Coil Above an Asymmetric Conductor Plate' tutorial, so this shows the effect of eddy current and also corresponding effects of magnetic field. Now in my circuit where I've used a sinusoidal current source of a definite frequency, the eddy current and magnetic field should also be time varying of same frequency. So I want to plot the magnetic field/eddy current sinusoidal response along with input sinusoidal to see time domain shift(in fact phase) in the response. So sir firstly I'm confused with which study step should I use. In time dependent study there is only option to plot time domain signal of the coil or circuit components' voltage, current only. And in frequency response where all magnetic field parameters etc are there, I don't see a way to plot time signal of the magnetic field. (I'm using Comsol 4.3a) Hope I'm able to convey my point. I'm looking forward that someone will help me out. Thank and regards, Tapabrata Sen

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.