Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Interior boundaries check boc

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I kindly would like to ask why interior boundary check box exists?
When it is clicked what it means. When it is not clicked and we can not select some "boundary selection", what does it means?

For example,
If at example Piezoelectric Shear Actuated Beam we do not click the check box what will go wrong

I have an intuition but i can not explain it correctly.

i searched the pdf's for it but i couldn't make out why is that.

Thanks in advance

Regards,
Ilias

2 Replies Last Post 22.08.2010, 18:24 GMT-4

Posted: 1 decade ago 22.08.2010, 16:29 GMT-4

Hi,

I kindly would like to ask why interior boundary check box exists?
When it is clicked what it means. When it is not clicked and we can not select some "boundary selection", what does it means?

For example,
If at example Piezoelectric Shear Actuated Beam we do not click the check box what will go wrong

I have an intuition but i can not explain it correctly.

i searched the pdf's for it but i couldn't make out why is that.

Thanks in advance

Regards,
Ilias

Hi Ilias,

Interior boundary means that you are inside the same physical domain, which usually means continuity in FEM, and you want to impose a different boundary condition on it. So, normally you should not check it, unless you want to apply a special boundary condition to a boundary that usually is left alone.
[QUOTE] Hi, I kindly would like to ask why interior boundary check box exists? When it is clicked what it means. When it is not clicked and we can not select some "boundary selection", what does it means? For example, If at example Piezoelectric Shear Actuated Beam we do not click the check box what will go wrong I have an intuition but i can not explain it correctly. i searched the pdf's for it but i couldn't make out why is that. Thanks in advance Regards, Ilias [/QUOTE] Hi Ilias, Interior boundary means that you are inside the same physical domain, which usually means continuity in FEM, and you want to impose a different boundary condition on it. So, normally you should not check it, unless you want to apply a special boundary condition to a boundary that usually is left alone.

Posted: 1 decade ago 22.08.2010, 18:24 GMT-4
Very grateful for your response Danial. Understandable explanation
Very grateful for your response Danial. Understandable explanation

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.