Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Lumped Capacitor in the RF Module, eigenfrequency

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello all,

I'm using 4.4, and I realize it is impossible to add Lumped Capacitor and Lumped Inductor in RF Module Eigenfrequency study.

(but lumped elements with Z value is possible, and Lumped Capacitor or Lumped Inductor is possible for frequency study)

I think it is because Comsol is looking for a frequency, so if you only give capacitance, how it can calculate impedance lol. My current solution is hand calculate a Z value with approximated frequency and input this Z value, then look for eigenfrequency.

Then my question is, how to use lumped element with capacitor type in Comsol? Is 5.1 or 5.0 can fix this problem? Or any other brilliant solutions?

Regards,
Jared

4 Replies Last Post 05.08.2015, 12:18 GMT-4
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 9 years ago 04.08.2015, 07:19 GMT-4
Hi

Capacitance, inductance and pure (real) resistance can all be calculated from the geometry and the material properties of the material involved. However, complex impedance Z(f) is obtained when you close a circuit, at a given frequency f so you need more than just the components, often it's derived by the V/I ratio

But FEM works on densities (of flux current ...) so you need to integrate these fluxes over the boundaries to get "lumped" values for the impedance estimations. This is done already inside the definitions of the Terminals and other lumped ports nodes of COMSOL, that is why they are handy and make you gain quite some time

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi Capacitance, inductance and pure (real) resistance can all be calculated from the geometry and the material properties of the material involved. However, complex impedance Z(f) is obtained when you close a circuit, at a given frequency f so you need more than just the components, often it's derived by the V/I ratio But FEM works on densities (of flux current ...) so you need to integrate these fluxes over the boundaries to get "lumped" values for the impedance estimations. This is done already inside the definitions of the Terminals and other lumped ports nodes of COMSOL, that is why they are handy and make you gain quite some time -- Good luck Ivar

Walter Frei COMSOL Employee

Posted: 9 years ago 04.08.2015, 09:50 GMT-4
Dear Jared,

The question you are asking here has to do with the usage of the Lumped Element boundary condition in combination with the eigenfrequency analysis. The lumped element condition does apply a lumped impedance based upon the equation Z=1/j omega C, where omega has to be known. Now of course, if we solve an eigenvalue problem, omega is what we are solving for. Thus, what we must do is provide a so-called "eigenvalue linearization point" in the eigenvalue solver settings. For complete details on this, please read the section "Lossy Eigenvalue Calculations" in the RF Module users guide, as it describes how to deal with this case.

Best,
Dear Jared, The question you are asking here has to do with the usage of the Lumped Element boundary condition in combination with the eigenfrequency analysis. The lumped element condition does apply a lumped impedance based upon the equation Z=1/j omega C, where omega has to be known. Now of course, if we solve an eigenvalue problem, omega is what we are solving for. Thus, what we must do is provide a so-called "eigenvalue linearization point" in the eigenvalue solver settings. For complete details on this, please read the section "Lossy Eigenvalue Calculations" in the RF Module users guide, as it describes how to deal with this case. Best,

Posted: 9 years ago 05.08.2015, 12:17 GMT-4
Hi Walter,

Thank you very much for your help, it works!

Best,
HJ
Hi Walter, Thank you very much for your help, it works! Best, HJ

Posted: 9 years ago 05.08.2015, 12:18 GMT-4
Thank you for your reply : )
Thank you for your reply : )

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.