Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Driven, Damped Harmonic Oscillator

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi, I am very new to Cosmol.

I'd like to use the program to solve the damped, driven harmonic oscillator equation (no physical model or anything) and get its frequency response. Basically, I'd like to use Cosmol to give me the resonance curve.

My approach has been to use the Global ODE and DAE module, with a frequency domain study. I define my global equation as utt + gamma*ut + u + sin(2 *pi*t*freq). When I try to run the study, I get the error that the jacobian for t cannot be evaluated, which I guess makes sense since time is not well defined in a frequency study.

So, is there a good way of getting the frequency response of a diff eq in time (like the damped, driven harmonic oscillator) in comsol?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

1 Reply Last Post 25.06.2015, 15:25 GMT-4
Henrik Sönnerlind COMSOL Employee

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 9 years ago 25.06.2015, 15:25 GMT-4
Hi,

You have to express the equation in frequency instead of time. The variable name is 'freq' .

Something like

(-(2*pi*freq)^2+2*damp*i*(2*pi*freq)*omega0+omega0^2)*u-loading

Parameters:
damp is relative damping
omega0 is the natural (angular) frequency
loading is the amplitude of the harmonic load

Regards,
Henrik
Hi, You have to express the equation in frequency instead of time. The variable name is 'freq' . Something like (-(2*pi*freq)^2+2*damp*i*(2*pi*freq)*omega0+omega0^2)*u-loading Parameters: damp is relative damping omega0 is the natural (angular) frequency loading is the amplitude of the harmonic load Regards, Henrik

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.