Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Flow across a semi-permeable membrane

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi ,

I am trying to model flow through a semi-permeable membrane due to a pressure gradient. For now, I am using free and porous media flow physics and for my geometry, I have set up 3 rectangles next to each other. The middle rectangle has been designated to be the porous material, and the rectangles on the ends are the fluid materials.
Am I approaching this problem correctly with COMSOL? If not, what is the best way to approach this? How am I suppose to specify 2 separate pressures on both sides of the membrane to drive fluid flow across the membrane?

Thank you so much,
Aaron

2 Replies Last Post 23.05.2015, 06:59 GMT-4

Posted: 9 years ago 22.05.2015, 15:24 GMT-4
Update:
I tried applying laminar flow and transport of dilute species physics. For the geometry, I created an assembly with 2 squares next to each other and set the contact point in the middle as a flow continuity. This boundary is my membrane. I tried setting an equation for the flux at that boundary using the pressure difference (J= hydraulic conductivity * Pressure difference).

I still have no success however.
Update: I tried applying laminar flow and transport of dilute species physics. For the geometry, I created an assembly with 2 squares next to each other and set the contact point in the middle as a flow continuity. This boundary is my membrane. I tried setting an equation for the flux at that boundary using the pressure difference (J= hydraulic conductivity * Pressure difference). I still have no success however.

Posted: 9 years ago 23.05.2015, 06:59 GMT-4
Let's say that the velocity variables of the liquid flow is u, v and w in the flanking domain. Then in the porous domain use leaking wall boundary condition, setting these variables the boundary values.

Attached my model which I did some time ago. There a flow is hitting a porous plug.

br Lasse
Let's say that the velocity variables of the liquid flow is u, v and w in the flanking domain. Then in the porous domain use leaking wall boundary condition, setting these variables the boundary values. Attached my model which I did some time ago. There a flow is hitting a porous plug. br Lasse

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.