Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Why are the expressions so complicated?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

As the title suggests really. I am going through a tutorial model of a capacitor, and under one of the expression inputs I have to enter the terminal current. The correct input here is ec.IO_1. Why does it have to be complicated like this? I could never figure out what I have to enter without this tutorial. I have seen other tutorial models, and some of those expressions are even worse. Why not just make it simple?

Thanks

3 Replies Last Post 13.05.2015, 07:11 GMT-4

Posted: 9 years ago 13.05.2015, 02:03 GMT-4
Luckily you do not have to memorize the expressions, because when you click the button in the upper right corner of the expression box a list of possible variables is shown with explanations in plain English.

But I agree, they are very difficult to remember.

br
Lasse
Luckily you do not have to memorize the expressions, because when you click the button in the upper right corner of the expression box a list of possible variables is shown with explanations in plain English. But I agree, they are very difficult to remember. br Lasse

Magnus Ringh COMSOL Employee

Posted: 9 years ago 13.05.2015, 02:54 GMT-4
Hi,

Yes, and in the list of variables you can search for variables. Typing, for example, "terminal current" filters the list of variables so that only

ec.IO_1 - Terminal currents

appears.

In the naming scheme, the ec. part of ec.IO_1 indicates that the variable belongs to the Electric Currents interface called ec.

Best regards,
Magnus Ringh, COMSOL

Hi, Yes, and in the list of variables you can search for variables. Typing, for example, "terminal current" filters the list of variables so that only ec.IO_1 - Terminal currents appears. In the naming scheme, the ec. part of ec.IO_1 indicates that the variable belongs to the Electric Currents interface called ec. Best regards, Magnus Ringh, COMSOL

Posted: 9 years ago 13.05.2015, 07:11 GMT-4
Ah that is actually helpful, thanks. I didn't know we could click to see a list and search :)
Ah that is actually helpful, thanks. I didn't know we could click to see a list and search :)

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.