Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Track energy generated over time from heat source

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I am running a 1-D heat transfer model of a landfill. I have heat source terms (dependant on temperature) representing the heat generated from aerobic and anaerobic processes and would like to track the amount of energy generated by these terms over time.

I would then like to use the calculated total energy generated and feed it back into my equations for heat generation (i.e. so that heat generation is dependent on both the temperature of the waste and the amount of energy that has already been generated by said waste).

If there is a way I can do this any replies would be greatly appreciated (working with version 5.0)

Thanks,
James

3 Replies Last Post 11.05.2015, 16:31 GMT-4

Posted: 9 years ago 07.05.2015, 13:52 GMT-4
Reading further it looks as though I may be able to solve my problem by using subdomain integration. Can anyone explain to me how I may do this in version 5.0? Thanks
Reading further it looks as though I may be able to solve my problem by using subdomain integration. Can anyone explain to me how I may do this in version 5.0? Thanks

Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 9 years ago 07.05.2015, 14:08 GMT-4
Hello James,
This link should be helpful:
www.comsol.com/blogs/overview-integration-methods-space-time/
Jeff
Hello James, This link should be helpful: http://www.comsol.com/blogs/overview-integration-methods-space-time/ Jeff

Posted: 9 years ago 11.05.2015, 16:31 GMT-4
Hi Jeff,

Thanks for your help. I have setup a Domain ODE that is correctly calculating the accumulated heat generation (dependant variable 'u'), however when I sub 'u' back into my equation for the heat source, it throws everything off. Could this be due to a circular reference? Is there any way for me to reference 'u' from the previous timestep in my heat source calculations?

Thanks,
James
Hi Jeff, Thanks for your help. I have setup a Domain ODE that is correctly calculating the accumulated heat generation (dependant variable 'u'), however when I sub 'u' back into my equation for the heat source, it throws everything off. Could this be due to a circular reference? Is there any way for me to reference 'u' from the previous timestep in my heat source calculations? Thanks, James

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.