Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Uniform compression for a biomedical stent.

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear fellow Comsol-users:

I designed a biomedical stent (see pictures attached) and I am now trying to apply a uniform compression across its outer 'cylinder' surface in order to reduce its diameter. I am using the 4.4 version and the Structural Mechanics module. Comsol doesn't let me divide the outer surface and apply surface forces. Thereby, I tried to apply line forces based on the arcsin and arccos of the (y/x), but without any success.

Do you have any idea what surface loads or boundary conditions I have to apply in order to uniformly compress the stent in such manner that its cylinder-diameter is reduced?

Thank you alot beforehand.

2 Replies Last Post 06.05.2015, 10:35 GMT-4
Edgar J. Kaiser Certified Consultant

Posted: 9 years ago 06.05.2015, 10:30 GMT-4
Dimitrios,

A radially directed body load would probably achieve the desired effect as well.

Cheers
Edgar

--
Edgar J. Kaiser
emPhys Physical Technology
www.emphys.com
Dimitrios, A radially directed body load would probably achieve the desired effect as well. Cheers Edgar -- Edgar J. Kaiser emPhys Physical Technology http://www.emphys.com

Posted: 9 years ago 06.05.2015, 10:35 GMT-4
Thanx you very much. How can I achieve that? By setting a cylindrical reference axis system?
Thanx you very much. How can I achieve that? By setting a cylindrical reference axis system?

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.