Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Laminated Electromagnet simulation

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi all,

I am simulating an electromagnet dipole and I would like to simulate the iron as a laminated core instead of a solid core.
Is there any way to set the filling factor and the lamination directio or I should design each layer (which would be crazy)?

Thanks
Francesco

13 Replies Last Post 28.05.2015, 02:35 GMT-4

Posted: 9 years ago 05.05.2015, 02:15 GMT-4
Hi Francesco,

You can try to define anisotropic conductivity of the core material.

Best Regards,
Dima.

--
Dima Apter
A2Z Consulting Ltd.
www.a2z-consulting.com
Hi Francesco, You can try to define anisotropic conductivity of the core material. Best Regards, Dima. -- Dima Apter A2Z Consulting Ltd. www.a2z-consulting.com

Posted: 9 years ago 06.05.2015, 07:56 GMT-4
Thank you for your answer.

Is there any example I can use as a reference?
Thank you for your answer. Is there any example I can use as a reference?

Posted: 9 years ago 07.05.2015, 01:14 GMT-4
Hi Francesco,

Check the attached model.

Best Regards,
Dima.

--
Dima Apter
A2Z Consulting Ltd.
www.a2z-consulting.com
Hi Francesco, Check the attached model. Best Regards, Dima. -- Dima Apter A2Z Consulting Ltd. www.a2z-consulting.com

Posted: 9 years ago 07.05.2015, 09:45 GMT-4
Dear Dima,

Thank you for your kind help.
I'll check the model in the next days and let you know.

cheers
F.
Dear Dima, Thank you for your kind help. I'll check the model in the next days and let you know. cheers F.

Posted: 9 years ago 08.05.2015, 05:09 GMT-4
Dear Dima,

I would like to ask you something regarding your model:

1) how do you take into account the fact that your core is missing a certain percentage of magnetic material?
I mean, if laminated, the core will be made of layer of metal and insulator, henche the core will have a magnetic material volume smaller than 100% of the yoke volume. This can be described by a filling factor usually, but I don't know how to set it i comsol.

2) I use single coil turn with an inner surface as gap feed. There are advantages in using the multi turn coil, as you did?

Thanks
Francesco
Dear Dima, I would like to ask you something regarding your model: 1) how do you take into account the fact that your core is missing a certain percentage of magnetic material? I mean, if laminated, the core will be made of layer of metal and insulator, henche the core will have a magnetic material volume smaller than 100% of the yoke volume. This can be described by a filling factor usually, but I don't know how to set it i comsol. 2) I use single coil turn with an inner surface as gap feed. There are advantages in using the multi turn coil, as you did? Thanks Francesco

Posted: 9 years ago 11.05.2015, 00:55 GMT-4
Hi Francesco,

1. The attached model was just an example of how to use material conductivity settings in order to prevent undesired eddy currents in the core. There is no (as far as i know) straightforward way to define core filling factor. You can reduce core permeability (depends on the permeability settings you use) in order to get the desired flux.
2. Sure, any type of coil and excitation can be used. Multi-turn coil was used just for the example.

Best Regards,
Dima.

--
Dima Apter
A2Z Consulting Ltd.
www.a2z-consulting.com
Hi Francesco, 1. The attached model was just an example of how to use material conductivity settings in order to prevent undesired eddy currents in the core. There is no (as far as i know) straightforward way to define core filling factor. You can reduce core permeability (depends on the permeability settings you use) in order to get the desired flux. 2. Sure, any type of coil and excitation can be used. Multi-turn coil was used just for the example. Best Regards, Dima. -- Dima Apter A2Z Consulting Ltd. www.a2z-consulting.com

Posted: 9 years ago 11.05.2015, 01:35 GMT-4
Dear Dima,

Thank you for your help and explanations
Dear Dima, Thank you for your help and explanations

Posted: 9 years ago 11.05.2015, 08:46 GMT-4
Regarding the influence of stacking, there is one suggestio that I have put
Arxiv some time ago:
arxiv.org/abs/1212.5163

Regards

Jens
Regarding the influence of stacking, there is one suggestio that I have put Arxiv some time ago: http://arxiv.org/abs/1212.5163 Regards Jens

Posted: 9 years ago 12.05.2015, 13:10 GMT-4
Dear Jens,

Thank you for the paper, I am reading it and I find it very intersting.
I need to admit that I have to read it more carefully as some points are not totally clear to me after a first reading. Anyway what I find very hard to understand is how to implement the model you describe in comsol.
Could you give me some more practical details?

Thanks
Francesco
Dear Jens, Thank you for the paper, I am reading it and I find it very intersting. I need to admit that I have to read it more carefully as some points are not totally clear to me after a first reading. Anyway what I find very hard to understand is how to implement the model you describe in comsol. Could you give me some more practical details? Thanks Francesco

Posted: 9 years ago 21.05.2015, 01:51 GMT-4
Dear Francesco,

in order to implement this in Consol I had to use advanced feature. So, first
swithch on the "Equation view", so that for each feature you can inspect and
edit the implementation.

What the maths eventually gives you is a function to calculate Hx, Hy, and Hz
from Bx, By, and Bz. I suggest that you implement these as expression in a
"Variables" node.

For the domains of the lamination you add an "Ampere's Law" feature and go to
the equation view. Then you replace the expression defining Hx by the expression
defined above (same for y and z).

That should do it, but it took me some time to get it all correct.

Good luck.

Jens
Dear Francesco, in order to implement this in Consol I had to use advanced feature. So, first swithch on the "Equation view", so that for each feature you can inspect and edit the implementation. What the maths eventually gives you is a function to calculate Hx, Hy, and Hz from Bx, By, and Bz. I suggest that you implement these as expression in a "Variables" node. For the domains of the lamination you add an "Ampere's Law" feature and go to the equation view. Then you replace the expression defining Hx by the expression defined above (same for y and z). That should do it, but it took me some time to get it all correct. Good luck. Jens

Posted: 9 years ago 21.05.2015, 02:31 GMT-4
Dear Jens,

I would need to implement equation 3 of right column in pag 5 of your paper, basically.
Am I right?

I will try and let you know.
Thanks
Francesco
Dear Jens, I would need to implement equation 3 of right column in pag 5 of your paper, basically. Am I right? I will try and let you know. Thanks Francesco

Posted: 9 years ago 28.05.2015, 02:17 GMT-4
Yes.

Regards

Jens
Yes. Regards Jens

Posted: 9 years ago 28.05.2015, 02:35 GMT-4
ok, I'll try to do it and let you know.
Thanks
Francesco
ok, I'll try to do it and let you know. Thanks Francesco

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.