Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Magnetic and Electric Fields with the Frequency Domain

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

If I use the Magnetic and Electric Fields ( mef ) module, with the Frequency Domain (60 Hz ), and I apply 10A in a terminal of a wire cooper, for example , I shoud consider the current like 10A RMS or 10A Peak ?

How I can animate the graphic of Magnetic Flux Density in function of phase angle variations over the 60Hz currents?

Thank's!

5 Replies Last Post 05.08.2016, 12:53 GMT-4
Nirmal Paudel COMSOL Employee

Posted: 9 years ago 23.04.2015, 21:02 GMT-4
Hi,

In Frequency Domain simulation, all the inputs are considered as Peak Values. If you wish to define for instance a voltage or current with an RMS value of 1 and a phase angle of 60°, enter the expression:
sqrt(2)*exp(j*60*pi/180).

To visualize the full harmonic cycle results you would need to use "Dynamic Data Extension".
Please refer to page # 1135 of COMSOL Multiphysics reference guide for version 5.0 for more information about this.

Best Regards,
Nirmal
Hi, In Frequency Domain simulation, all the inputs are considered as Peak Values. If you wish to define for instance a voltage or current with an RMS value of 1 and a phase angle of 60°, enter the expression: sqrt(2)*exp(j*60*pi/180). To visualize the full harmonic cycle results you would need to use "Dynamic Data Extension". Please refer to page # 1135 of COMSOL Multiphysics reference guide for version 5.0 for more information about this. Best Regards, Nirmal

Posted: 9 years ago 30.04.2015, 23:27 GMT-4
Thanks a lot Mr. Paudel.

I have one more question, please:

Is it possible to view a imaginary part of a magnetic field on the plot, because I have only the modulus of B field (mef.normB)?
Thanks a lot Mr. Paudel. I have one more question, please: Is it possible to view a imaginary part of a magnetic field on the plot, because I have only the modulus of B field (mef.normB)?

Nirmal Paudel COMSOL Employee

Posted: 9 years ago 01.05.2015, 11:44 GMT-4
Hi,

Yes, it is possible to plot the imaginary component as well.
Just use the expression something like:
imag(mef.Bx), imag(mef.By) etc. to plot the imaginary x & y component of magnetic flux density, B in Magnetic and Electric Fields (mef) physics.

Best Regards,
Nirmal
Hi, Yes, it is possible to plot the imaginary component as well. Just use the expression something like: imag(mef.Bx), imag(mef.By) etc. to plot the imaginary x & y component of magnetic flux density, B in Magnetic and Electric Fields (mef) physics. Best Regards, Nirmal

Posted: 9 years ago 01.05.2015, 21:16 GMT-4
Great! Thanks!
Great! Thanks!

Posted: 8 years ago 05.08.2016, 12:53 GMT-4
Hello, I am facing problems to analyze in time domain.

1. The E(x) plot that I have obtained is in frequency domain(attached file), which means at a one single frequency E(x) is a phasor or sinusoidal signal at every specific point along x with different amplitudes.

2. However, I want to see E(x) in time domain, which means it will show me how E(x) changing with x at a specific time t=0s, 5s, 10s and so on. This is essentially a 1D plot of E(x) Vs x at different time. I hope, I made my question clear to you.

Would you please suggest me how can I simulate this time domain analysis ? Is there any useful approach ? Please kindly, let me know. I am enlisting your expertise.

Thanks,
Rishad
Hello, I am facing problems to analyze in time domain. 1. The E(x) plot that I have obtained is in frequency domain(attached file), which means at a one single frequency E(x) is a phasor or sinusoidal signal at every specific point along x with different amplitudes. 2. However, I want to see E(x) in time domain, which means it will show me how E(x) changing with x at a specific time t=0s, 5s, 10s and so on. This is essentially a 1D plot of E(x) Vs x at different time. I hope, I made my question clear to you. Would you please suggest me how can I simulate this time domain analysis ? Is there any useful approach ? Please kindly, let me know. I am enlisting your expertise. Thanks, Rishad

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.