Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Is there a user guide manual for geometry modeling?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi, is there a user guide manual for geometry modeling? The example of the "How to geometry modeling" in the introduction manual of comsol multiphysics is simple and not enough.

4 Replies Last Post 24.04.2015, 07:14 GMT-4

Posted: 9 years ago 22.04.2015, 10:06 GMT-4
That's a good question! It's straightforward enough to paste together geometric primitives, but when you get to best practices for creating global geometric entities, multiple instances, boolean combinations, adjustments like filleting and rounding, it would be nice to have simple examples, at least. The example library is great but it tends to be on the complex side, like the complicated comb structure from Steve Senturia's book.

I was creating structures with Sentaurus Structure Editor, which exports AutoCAD-compatible SAT files which can be imported with the CAD import module. This is nice if you're good with the Sentaurus Structure Editor, because it's script-driven and you can thus (if you can deal with ELK/SCHEME) do relatively complex structures like (in my example) a lumpy surface characterized by a particular autocorrelation function and randomized Fourier coefficients, but the parameterization provided by COMSOL's built-in structure model is really attractive for structure optimization.

That's a good question! It's straightforward enough to paste together geometric primitives, but when you get to best practices for creating global geometric entities, multiple instances, boolean combinations, adjustments like filleting and rounding, it would be nice to have simple examples, at least. The example library is great but it tends to be on the complex side, like the complicated comb structure from Steve Senturia's book. I was creating structures with Sentaurus Structure Editor, which exports AutoCAD-compatible SAT files which can be imported with the CAD import module. This is nice if you're good with the Sentaurus Structure Editor, because it's script-driven and you can thus (if you can deal with ELK/SCHEME) do relatively complex structures like (in my example) a lumpy surface characterized by a particular autocorrelation function and randomized Fourier coefficients, but the parameterization provided by COMSOL's built-in structure model is really attractive for structure optimization.

Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 9 years ago 22.04.2015, 10:21 GMT-4
Hello Gaoteng,
I would recommend Chapter 7 in the Reference Manual (page 371-479 in version 5.1 of that manual), accessed through File>Help>Documentation. It is quite detailed and includes examples.
Best regards,
Jeff
Hello Gaoteng, I would recommend Chapter 7 in the Reference Manual (page 371-479 in version 5.1 of that manual), accessed through File>Help>Documentation. It is quite detailed and includes examples. Best regards, Jeff

Posted: 9 years ago 24.04.2015, 07:12 GMT-4
Hi, Jeff Hiller
Thanks a lot!
Best regards!
Hi, Jeff Hiller Thanks a lot! Best regards!

Posted: 9 years ago 24.04.2015, 07:14 GMT-4
Hi, Daniel Connelly
Thanks a lot!
Best regards!
Hi, Daniel Connelly Thanks a lot! Best regards!

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.