Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

coil setup

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

hi
i am modelling LVDT sensor using comsol the LVDT consist of three coils primary coil (excitation coil)and two secndary coils. i simulate the model in axial symetry 2D. but the problem is setting the number of turns could any know how to set the number of turens anser me please.
thanks

1 Reply Last Post 05.07.2010, 01:31 GMT-4
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago 05.07.2010, 01:31 GMT-4
Hi

I beieve there is no one answer, in V4 you have ready boundary conditions for coils (single and multiple). For me ideally an LVDT is three coils either cylindrical concentric, and then the total current in N*i for a loop length of 2*pi*r, or you go more sophisticalted and have triangular shapes for the receivers (inversed to make a total square coil section) and you want to include the multi turn effects, as the induction and surface current effects are different for single and multi turn coils.

There are at least a few discussions on the forum abbout multi-turn coils (do a search), as well as some articles on how to apply the correct physics, but really take a look at the V4 ACDC models it might well do most of what you want

Good lukc
Ivar
Hi I beieve there is no one answer, in V4 you have ready boundary conditions for coils (single and multiple). For me ideally an LVDT is three coils either cylindrical concentric, and then the total current in N*i for a loop length of 2*pi*r, or you go more sophisticalted and have triangular shapes for the receivers (inversed to make a total square coil section) and you want to include the multi turn effects, as the induction and surface current effects are different for single and multi turn coils. There are at least a few discussions on the forum abbout multi-turn coils (do a search), as well as some articles on how to apply the correct physics, but really take a look at the V4 ACDC models it might well do most of what you want Good lukc Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.