Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Computation takes too long for solving even with coarse and normal mesh

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hiii,

I have a simple geometry and I want to find the inductance and the resistance of the same. However, I do not understand why the computation takes so long for this. I wasnt able to compute fully due to processing ability of my PC. However, according to me, it should not take long.

www.dropbox.com/s/kktoh7c3rpxqam6/PCB_3Dmodel2.mph?dl=0

Can someone help me in explaining where I am going wrong ?

Regards,
Anup

9 Replies Last Post 13.04.2015, 07:19 GMT-4
Sven Friedel COMSOL Employee

Posted: 9 years ago 13.04.2015, 06:22 GMT-4
Hi,

as far as I can see the moel does not contain a single turn coil or any other closed loop
structure but rather a plate.

Sven Friedel
Hi, as far as I can see the moel does not contain a single turn coil or any other closed loop structure but rather a plate. Sven Friedel

Posted: 9 years ago 13.04.2015, 06:24 GMT-4
Dear Sven,

Thank you for the reply. However, it is not exactly a plate, but the distance between the two plates is very small (in um) as compared to the length and breadth. If you zoom and see, i think you can see it.

Thank you.

Regards,
Anup
Dear Sven, Thank you for the reply. However, it is not exactly a plate, but the distance between the two plates is very small (in um) as compared to the length and breadth. If you zoom and see, i think you can see it. Thank you. Regards, Anup

Posted: 9 years ago 13.04.2015, 06:37 GMT-4
Hi

I downloaded your model and just ran it. It took 2 mins and 3 secs. I have a three year old laptop with 8 GB RAM. If you have less than that, 3D models do not run smoothly.

br
Lasse
Hi I downloaded your model and just ran it. It took 2 mins and 3 secs. I have a three year old laptop with 8 GB RAM. If you have less than that, 3D models do not run smoothly. br Lasse

Posted: 9 years ago 13.04.2015, 06:41 GMT-4
Dear Lasse,

I am running this on my university server, which I think has a 128 GB RAM. I am not sure as to why it takes so much time though,

Can you please send the file, with the mesh and the results . I will check it now.

Regards,
Anup

Dear Sven,

I am running the file, you sent me. It is still creating the multigrid levels. I am not sure how much time it will take though.

Regards,
Anup
Dear Lasse, I am running this on my university server, which I think has a 128 GB RAM. I am not sure as to why it takes so much time though, Can you please send the file, with the mesh and the results . I will check it now. Regards, Anup Dear Sven, I am running the file, you sent me. It is still creating the multigrid levels. I am not sure how much time it will take though. Regards, Anup

Posted: 9 years ago 13.04.2015, 07:06 GMT-4
I did not change anything, it is your file. The problem may be in the temporary disk size allocated to you. Check your comsol.ini file.

Lasse
I did not change anything, it is your file. The problem may be in the temporary disk size allocated to you. Check your comsol.ini file. Lasse

Posted: 9 years ago 13.04.2015, 07:08 GMT-4
check out the no. of degree of freedom of your meshing model. if this is a large no. then you definately get more time for simulation.
check out the no. of degree of freedom of your meshing model. if this is a large no. then you definately get more time for simulation.

Posted: 9 years ago 13.04.2015, 07:08 GMT-4
Dear Lasse,

I will look into it. Thank you so much.

Regards,
Anup
Dear Lasse, I will look into it. Thank you so much. Regards, Anup

Posted: 9 years ago 13.04.2015, 07:18 GMT-4
hey its finely simulated in just 2-3 minutes or less.
check your comsol core settings if u changed......
hey its finely simulated in just 2-3 minutes or less. check your comsol core settings if u changed......

Posted: 9 years ago 13.04.2015, 07:19 GMT-4
Dear Yoginder,

I havent changed the settings. I am now looking into what could have gone wrong. It has taken me 40 mins now and the computation is still not over.

Thanks a lot for your help. :)

Regards,
Anup
Dear Yoginder, I havent changed the settings. I am now looking into what could have gone wrong. It has taken me 40 mins now and the computation is still not over. Thanks a lot for your help. :) Regards, Anup

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.