Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Joule heating and PDE interface - Error: Failed to find consistent initial values. Last time step is not converged.

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi All.

I am using v.4.1 and the Joule-heating and PDE-general form interfaces for a time-dependent study. I want to use joule-heating to solve for temperature evolution vs. time, as well as the PDE interface to solve for grain growth and densification vs. time. (I have defined the diff. eqs. for grain growth (G) and densification (P) using PDE-general interface because the ODE interface is not compatible with spatially distributed variable, T) I've attached my model below. I keep getting the above error message when solving. I have tried attempting the various solutions listed in the forum (such as increasing tolerance, refining mesh, changing boundary conditions) with no success.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks very much!
Nick

1 Reply Last Post 08.04.2015, 07:55 GMT-4

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 9 years ago 08.04.2015, 07:55 GMT-4
Hi Nicholas,

With a segregated solver instead of a fully coupled is works. Try segregated group 1 (V, T) and segregated group 2 (G, P).
You should use heat transfer and electric current and couple them, it's better to understantd what happened.

The dirichlet boundary condition is not linked to any boundaries in PDE (g)

Julien
Hi Nicholas, With a segregated solver instead of a fully coupled is works. Try segregated group 1 (V, T) and segregated group 2 (G, P). You should use heat transfer and electric current and couple them, it's better to understantd what happened. The dirichlet boundary condition is not linked to any boundaries in PDE (g) Julien

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.