Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Plot several 1D curves on the same graph

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi all,

It's a question about post processing
I'm wondering whether it's possible to plot several 1D curves on the same graph. For example, I have two points, and I want to compare the evolution of the physical quantity at these two points with time.

Does anyone have some ideas?

7 Replies Last Post 20.12.2015, 14:53 GMT-5
Robert Koslover Certified Consultant

Posted: 9 years ago 09.03.2015, 20:11 GMT-4
Yes, you can do that. I presume you are using a recent version of Comsol Multiphysics.
In the model builder, right-click "Results".
Choose 1D Plot Group.
Right-click the 1D Plot Group that you just created.
Click 'Point Graph"
Choose the points you want to plot the desired quantity at, and load them into the selection box.
(It should be fairly straightforward what to do, from that stage.)
Yes, you can do that. I presume you are using a recent version of Comsol Multiphysics. In the model builder, right-click "Results". Choose 1D Plot Group. Right-click the 1D Plot Group that you just created. Click 'Point Graph" Choose the points you want to plot the desired quantity at, and load them into the selection box. (It should be fairly straightforward what to do, from that stage.)

Posted: 9 years ago 10.03.2015, 08:39 GMT-4
Hi Robert,

The issue is that I can only load one point. If I want to load more than one point on the same graph, saying 3 points, what should I do?
Hi Robert, The issue is that I can only load one point. If I want to load more than one point on the same graph, saying 3 points, what should I do?

Robert Koslover Certified Consultant

Posted: 9 years ago 10.03.2015, 19:10 GMT-4
If you have more than one geometric point in your problem, you can load more than one point. Just select the second point the same way you selected the first one. I've attached a piece of a screen-shot that may make this clearer.
If you have more than one geometric point in your problem, you can load more than one point. Just select the second point the same way you selected the first one. I've attached a piece of a screen-shot that may make this clearer.

Posted: 9 years ago 11.03.2015, 09:16 GMT-4
Thx, Robert, I agree if they are geometric points, we can load two or more than two of them. But if the points are from Cut Point 2D, it seems loading two or more than two points are not feasible. what I do now is export the data and plot them with matlab.
Thx, Robert, I agree if they are geometric points, we can load two or more than two of them. But if the points are from Cut Point 2D, it seems loading two or more than two points are not feasible. what I do now is export the data and plot them with matlab.

Henrik Sönnerlind COMSOL Employee

Posted: 9 years ago 11.03.2015, 09:40 GMT-4

Then you add more point graph nodes under the same 1D plot group. Select one Cut Point 2D data set in each of them.

Regards,
Henrik
[QUOTE] Thx, Robert, I agree if they are geometric points, we can load two or more than two of them. But if the points are from Cut Point 2D, it seems loading two or more than two points are not feasible. what I do now is export the data and plot them with matlab. [/QUOTE] Then you add more point graph nodes under the same 1D plot group. Select one Cut Point 2D data set in each of them. Regards, Henrik

Posted: 9 years ago 18.12.2015, 08:54 GMT-5
... if I have generated a plot group with for example 5 point graphs is there also a simple way to export them all in one spread sheet with one click?

Regards,

Simone
... if I have generated a plot group with for example 5 point graphs is there also a simple way to export them all in one spread sheet with one click? Regards, Simone

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 9 years ago 20.12.2015, 14:53 GMT-5
Hi

you have two "easy" way to generate exportable data:

1) the Derived Values into a common table (or thereafter via a plot, then 2)
2) a combined plot with several sub-nodes

and then export the all,
but you must ensure, of you want all in the same export file, that the X axis at least are identical, or of same length. Else its better to export them separately

Take a look at the COMSOL videos on their main site section postprocessing

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi you have two "easy" way to generate exportable data: 1) the Derived Values into a common table (or thereafter via a plot, then 2) 2) a combined plot with several sub-nodes and then export the all, but you must ensure, of you want all in the same export file, that the X axis at least are identical, or of same length. Else its better to export them separately Take a look at the COMSOL videos on their main site section postprocessing -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.