Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Flow rate at inlet

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

Could someone help me to understand how the boundary conditions presented in page 5 of the following paper could be implemented in COMSOL?

www.comsol.com/paper/download/43839/Smith_pres.pdf

Best regards.

4 Replies Last Post 16.02.2015, 10:25 GMT-5
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 9 years ago 15.02.2015, 14:00 GMT-5
Hi

I understand that as defining:
1) A "Global - Definitions - Parameter" Q_set = xxx [(kg/m^3)*(m/s)*(m^2)] whatever mass flux rate you desire
2) Define a Coupling Variable Surface Integration over the inlet Boundary (intop1)
3) Define a Variable Q_in = intop1(rho*(nx*u+ny*v+nz*w))
4) Add on your main "Physics node" - "Global - Global Equation" of variable name "P_in" such as "Q_in-Q_set" (implicit =0)
5) Add an inlet normal flow BC on your "inlet" boundary, and set it to the global pressure value "P_in"
6) solve the problem

If not already done, you will need to turn on the "File - Parameters - Model Builder - Advanced Physics" Options

However, if you have V5 (perhaps it was there already in V4, I cannot remember now) you can select under the "Inlet" node "mass flow" and just give the value of Q_set, the rest is already set up in COMSOL for you

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi I understand that as defining: 1) A "Global - Definitions - Parameter" Q_set = xxx [(kg/m^3)*(m/s)*(m^2)] whatever mass flux rate you desire 2) Define a Coupling Variable Surface Integration over the inlet Boundary (intop1) 3) Define a Variable Q_in = intop1(rho*(nx*u+ny*v+nz*w)) 4) Add on your main "Physics node" - "Global - Global Equation" of variable name "P_in" such as "Q_in-Q_set" (implicit =0) 5) Add an inlet normal flow BC on your "inlet" boundary, and set it to the global pressure value "P_in" 6) solve the problem If not already done, you will need to turn on the "File - Parameters - Model Builder - Advanced Physics" Options However, if you have V5 (perhaps it was there already in V4, I cannot remember now) you can select under the "Inlet" node "mass flow" and just give the value of Q_set, the rest is already set up in COMSOL for you -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 9 years ago 15.02.2015, 16:48 GMT-5
Ivar,

It seems consistent, except for the fact that P_in cannot be equal to Q_in-Q_set, which should be 0 and, thus, the pressure at the inlet would be 0. I am aware of the mass flow inlet in v4.3a, but it applies for the Laminar Flow interface and not for the High Mach Number Flow interface, which I intend to use.

Best regards.
Ivar, It seems consistent, except for the fact that P_in cannot be equal to Q_in-Q_set, which should be 0 and, thus, the pressure at the inlet would be 0. I am aware of the mass flow inlet in v4.3a, but it applies for the Laminar Flow interface and not for the High Mach Number Flow interface, which I intend to use. Best regards.

Posted: 9 years ago 16.02.2015, 08:52 GMT-5
Hi,

I have found the way to solve the problem. Thank you.

Best regards.
Hi, I have found the way to solve the problem. Thank you. Best regards.

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 9 years ago 16.02.2015, 10:25 GMT-5
Hi

Be careful how you read the Global equation:

P_in is NOT SET to the difference,
P_in is a new dependent variables adjusted such that Q_in-Q_set is equal to 0

That is quite different ;)
There are a fiew Blogs and Knowledge Base article about this way of adding your own equations
--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi Be careful how you read the Global equation: P_in is NOT SET to the difference, P_in is a new dependent variables adjusted such that Q_in-Q_set is equal to 0 That is quite different ;) There are a fiew Blogs and Knowledge Base article about this way of adding your own equations -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.