Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Using waveform operator or frequency domain alaysis

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi.

I want to model two electrodes: one is emitting AC voltage (let say +/- 100 V) and one is the ground. I would like to ask which one is better:
1. use time dependent analysis, define a sine waveform, and define the electric potential boundary as wv1(t[1/s])
2. use time dependent analysis, directly define the electric potential boundary as 100*sin(2*pi*f*t[s])
3. use frequency domain analysis and define the electric potential boundary as a constant of 100 Volt.

Many thanks in advance for helping me.

Best regards,
Evan Tanotogono

1 Reply Last Post 23.10.2016, 23:24 GMT-4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Evan Tanotogono

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 8 years ago 23.10.2016, 23:24 GMT-4
Hi Evan,

You may have already solved your problem.According to my experience, it would be better using frequency domain analysis in the situation you described. Compared to frequency domain analysis, time dependent study is more time-consuming. What's worse, time step must be correctly selected, otherwise the result may be far from what is expected.Recently I 'm trying to apply a sine excitation with the frequency of f0=4.6MHz, so I input 'sin(2*pi*f0*t)' and click the'Plot' button.But the resulted plot was not a sine wave.

If you have the same experience,please tell me how you handle it.
Thanks for advice!
Hi Evan, You may have already solved your problem.According to my experience, it would be better using frequency domain analysis in the situation you described. Compared to frequency domain analysis, time dependent study is more time-consuming. What's worse, time step must be correctly selected, otherwise the result may be far from what is expected.Recently I 'm trying to apply a sine excitation with the frequency of f0=4.6MHz, so I input 'sin(2*pi*f0*t)' and click the'Plot' button.But the resulted plot was not a sine wave. If you have the same experience,please tell me how you handle it. Thanks for advice!

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.