Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Electrostatic modeling of Spindt-tip cathode

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hey all,

I've been working on modeling the electrostatics for a Spindt-type field emission tip we are fabricating in our lab. Since electron emission in such devices is typically dependent upon electrical field characteristics, my main goal is to model the electric field of the activated device.

Attached is a model of a Spindt-type tip in classical dimensions (widely used in experimentation and known to work as an electron emitter). My question is, for the collector voltage (500V), why are there no field lines connecting the tip to the collector? Are there any additional steps I need to take in order to more accurately model the electrostatics of the tip, or is the model simply wrong? Any input would be greatly appreciated!

-Aaron Quan

0 Replies Last Post 03.02.2015, 16:28 GMT-5
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Aaron Quan

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.