Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Average over a 3D rectangle.

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I computed some field over 3D. I want an average of the magnitude of that field over a rectangular region. I can see how to make a cut line segment and average over that line segment, but I don't see how to make a cut plane segment for averaging over a specified rectangle. Am I stuck using a full cut plane and doing a ratio of integrations with logical conditions to define the rectangular region mathematically? Or is there some way in post-processing with a few clicks to average over a rectangle that wasn't already a surface pre-defined in the geometry?

2 Replies Last Post 02.01.2015, 02:16 GMT-5

Posted: 10 years ago 31.12.2014, 15:46 GMT-5
BTW, I also _do_ know that I can create some geometry region, "Update Solution," and use a "Surface" data set based on that region. It's just that in my case "Update solution" takes quite a while, so I was wondering if there was a way to define simple regions for averaging in post processing.
BTW, I also _do_ know that I can create some geometry region, "Update Solution," and use a "Surface" data set based on that region. It's just that in my case "Update solution" takes quite a while, so I was wondering if there was a way to define simple regions for averaging in post processing.

Gunnar Andersson COMSOL Employee

Posted: 10 years ago 02.01.2015, 02:16 GMT-5
Am I stuck using a full cut plane and doing a ratio of integrations with logical conditions to define the rectangular region mathematically?

BTW, I also _do_ know that I can create some geometry region, "Update Solution," and use a "Surface" data set based on that region.

There two approaches are the simplest ways to do achieve what you want.
[QUOTE]Am I stuck using a full cut plane and doing a ratio of integrations with logical conditions to define the rectangular region mathematically?[/QUOTE] [QUOTE]BTW, I also _do_ know that I can create some geometry region, "Update Solution," and use a "Surface" data set based on that region.[/QUOTE] There two approaches are the simplest ways to do achieve what you want.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.