Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

What does the 'solution at an angle' in the 'data set' node of the model builder window in wave optics module of comsol 4.4 means?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi ,
I am trying to understand the exact meaning of the phrase 'solution at an angle' under 'data sets>solution' node in the model builder of comsol 4.4. the help on the topic shows following message
Enter a value for the Solution at angle (phase) (SI unit: deg). The default is 0 degrees and evaluates complex-valued expressions by multiplying the solution in the solution data set by a factor of exp(i*pi*phase/180) prior to expression evaluation.
I am not able to understand what does it exactly means. Suppose I plot the x-, y- and z- components of the fundamental mode of SI fiber then would any phase, if provided , multiply all the components equally by a factor exp(i*pi*phase/180) ?
My other question is as follows
The fundamental mode of the fiber has two polarizations, say X and Y. Suppose E1 is the electric field of the X mode and E2 is that of Y mode. Now I want to calculate the surface integral of 'E1.E2' on the fiber cross section. How is it possible in comsol 4.4.
Any help provided on the topics above will be appreciated.
Thanks a lot!
Vishwatosh Mishra

0 Replies Last Post 31.12.2014, 05:48 GMT-5
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Vishwatosh Mishra

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.