Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Help for defining unpolarized light.

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I am design and simulate a model for scattering of light from nano particle on substrate with the help of scatterer_on_substrate model. But I cannot define the electric field vector of unpolarized light and the enhancement factor of electric field due to nano particle.
Please help me in this respect.

1 Reply Last Post 31.12.2014, 12:12 GMT-5

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 10 years ago 31.12.2014, 12:12 GMT-5
I apologize if this question appears ignorant, but does unpolarized light exist? I mean, the electric field at any given instant of time _will_ have a direction. So I guess what you mean is "randomly polarized" light where the components of the E field vector are uncorrelated noise like random functions and you are only interested in the average.

Couldn't you do a set of studies, one for each orthogonal polarization, say horizontal and vertical, and then sum the squares of the result? I'd have to think through the math to be sure this makes sense, but it seems to me that the response of a linear system to the sum of inputs is the sum of their individual outputs, and that uncorrelated random things tend to sum as squares.

If it does make sense, maybe the smart folks at comsol will someday sell it as a new "Unpolarized Light Physics" and charge you for another module :)
I apologize if this question appears ignorant, but does unpolarized light exist? I mean, the electric field at any given instant of time _will_ have a direction. So I guess what you mean is "randomly polarized" light where the components of the E field vector are uncorrelated noise like random functions and you are only interested in the average. Couldn't you do a set of studies, one for each orthogonal polarization, say horizontal and vertical, and then sum the squares of the result? I'd have to think through the math to be sure this makes sense, but it seems to me that the response of a linear system to the sum of inputs is the sum of their individual outputs, and that uncorrelated random things tend to sum as squares. If it does make sense, maybe the smart folks at comsol will someday sell it as a new "Unpolarized Light Physics" and charge you for another module :)

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.