Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Virtual Work vs. Maxwell stress tensor

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi @ all,

I'm (still) try to calculate a force on a magnetic ball in the field of an electromagnet.
For the permanently magnets I use an Ampère's Law with Magnetic Field: Constitutive relation: Remanent flux density Br=1.3 [T] in y, x and z=0 [T], because the south- and north-pole should be on the y-axis. Do I have to enter parameters like bHc and BH? My magnetic ball parameters can be viewed here N42: www.ndfebmagnets.de/DE_Pros_NdFeB.htm

The cylindrical coil has a ferritic and is crossed with a negative current, that is for the orientation of the magnetic field in relation to the permanent magnet. The permanent-magnetic ball is to be attracted to the coil.

The individual results of Virtual Work and Maxwell stress tensor differ strongly.
the procedure with Virtual Work: i do two simulation and move the ball 2.5mm on the x-axis and use the difference of the Total magnetic energy (mf.intWm [J] ) to calculate the force F [N]= d_mf.intWm [J] / 0.0025 [m], are the steps correct?

If I change the radius of Sphere 1, the air around my model, the force of Force Calculation 1 varies greatly, why?

It would be very nice of a pro might look at my model and can give me some advices or hints.

Thank you for your help, with best regards Thomas

3 Replies Last Post 15.12.2014, 05:03 GMT-5
Nirmal Paudel COMSOL Employee

Posted: 10 years ago 12.12.2014, 09:43 GMT-5
Hi,

The method of virtual work can be employed by using the features for "deformed mesh" and "sensitivity analysis" in COMSOL Multiphysics. Please refer to the "Deformed Geometry and Moving Mesh" and "Sensitivity Analysis" sections in the COMSOL Multiphysics Reference Manual.

There is an example "axial_magnetic_bearing.mph" in ACDC Module in which the deformed mesh and sensitivity analysis is performed to evaluate the magnetic stiffness. You could use the same approach here. In addition, you might need to further refine the mesh in the domain where "Force Calculation" node is added.

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,
Nirmal Paudel
---------------------------
COMSOL Employee
USA
Hi, The method of virtual work can be employed by using the features for "deformed mesh" and "sensitivity analysis" in COMSOL Multiphysics. Please refer to the "Deformed Geometry and Moving Mesh" and "Sensitivity Analysis" sections in the COMSOL Multiphysics Reference Manual. There is an example "axial_magnetic_bearing.mph" in ACDC Module in which the deformed mesh and sensitivity analysis is performed to evaluate the magnetic stiffness. You could use the same approach here. In addition, you might need to further refine the mesh in the domain where "Force Calculation" node is added. Hope this helps. Best Regards, Nirmal Paudel --------------------------- COMSOL Employee USA

Posted: 10 years ago 15.12.2014, 04:30 GMT-5
Dear Nirmal,

thank you for your tip, I have adapted the model for my simulation. It would be great if you could check my simulation, the results looks better so far.

Dear Nirmal, thank you for your tip, I have adapted the model for my simulation. It would be great if you could check my simulation, the results looks better so far. Thank you for your help, with best regards Thomas

Posted: 10 years ago 15.12.2014, 05:03 GMT-5
I have modified a model with a Multi Turn Coil as magnets. But i can't find any difference in the global evaluation: mf.intWm [J] to calculate the force with the method of the virtual work.
The force calculation from Comsol Maxwell stress tensor locks better but i cantt compare it with the virtual work ;(
Can someone show me a solution how to get the differences in the total magnetic energy?

I have modified a model with a Multi Turn Coil as magnets. But i can't find any difference in the global evaluation: mf.intWm [J] to calculate the force with the method of the virtual work. The force calculation from Comsol Maxwell stress tensor locks better but i cantt compare it with the virtual work ;( Can someone show me a solution how to get the differences in the total magnetic energy? Thank you for your help, with best regards Thomas

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.