Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Heat Convection with Air and Water

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello everybody,

im trying to do a simulation like in the picture below.

What i expect to see is natural convetion in the Air and Fluid based on the density change in the material.

I already did some simulations with natural convection in a one phase closed cavity, which worked really well.

My assumation to solve this problem is as followed:

1. Approach
- Laminar Flow for Air (spf1)
- Heat Transfer in Fluids for Air (ht1)
- non isothermal Flow for Air(nitf1)

- Laminar Flow for Water (spf2)
- Heat Transfer in Fluids for Water (ht2)
- non isothermal Flow for Water(nitf2)

But how can i couple these two things at the transition boundary (Boundary 1)?

2. Approach
- Heat Transfer in Fluids based on the material in the region ( Temperature Distribution without convection looks well)

But how can i specify the flow if i choose this approach?
With one laminar flow for air and water the solution does not compute right, maybe a problem with the boundary conditions?
If i do it with one laminar flow physic i specify the volumeforce as :
density_air*beta_air*g*(T-Treference)
or in the water region as:
density_water*beta_water*g*(T-Treference)

Is one of the approaches right? Or do i have to do it with the multiphase flow?

0 Replies Last Post 02.12.2014, 07:18 GMT-5
COMSOL Moderator

Hello CHZ

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.