Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Hardware for COMSOL

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I am new graduate student, and I am planning to build a work station to run COMSOL for next three or four years. Our group built a computer(AMD Opteron 6378, SUPERMICRO MBD-H8SGL-F ATX Server Motherboard, 64GB). However, it performs poorly, only one fourth of what it should perform, and we think there might be a compatibility problem. So we decided to switch to intel. I am wondering if someone has built a computer within one or two years that works well with COMSOL. Our budget is around 2k dollars.

Thank you very much!

Best,
Minnie

2 Replies Last Post 28.10.2014, 05:38 GMT-4

Posted: 10 years ago 28.10.2014, 03:50 GMT-4
I hate to be the bringer of bad news but in its current form your question can't be answered.

What physics and systems do you want to solve? What solvers do you use?

If you want an idea about computational requirements I suggest you do liteature research for your problem and check what hardware is used in recent papers. Birgit Stute wrote a very nice one for different direct and iterative solvers for flow and mass transfer in packed beds. More mathematical are those by Wolfgang Joppich on multigrid solvers, but these are conference proceedings.

Cheers,

Victor
I hate to be the bringer of bad news but in its current form your question can't be answered. What physics and systems do you want to solve? What solvers do you use? If you want an idea about computational requirements I suggest you do liteature research for your problem and check what hardware is used in recent papers. Birgit Stute wrote a very nice one for different direct and iterative solvers for flow and mass transfer in packed beds. More mathematical are those by Wolfgang Joppich on multigrid solvers, but these are conference proceedings. Cheers, Victor

Edgar J. Kaiser Certified Consultant

Posted: 10 years ago 28.10.2014, 05:38 GMT-4
Minnie,

one configuration I can recommend for everyday work is based on an ASUS P9X79WS mainboard with INTEL core i7 CPU, 64 GB RAM, 512 GB SSD, and 2 TB HD and an NVIDIA graphics adapter.

For high performance you want something with two or four CPU sockets, but this goes far beyond your budget.

This can be assembled in Germany for less than 2000 €.

Cheers
Edgar

--
Edgar J. Kaiser
emPhys Physical Technology
www.emphys.com
Minnie, one configuration I can recommend for everyday work is based on an ASUS P9X79WS mainboard with INTEL core i7 CPU, 64 GB RAM, 512 GB SSD, and 2 TB HD and an NVIDIA graphics adapter. For high performance you want something with two or four CPU sockets, but this goes far beyond your budget. This can be assembled in Germany for less than 2000 €. Cheers Edgar -- Edgar J. Kaiser emPhys Physical Technology http://www.emphys.com

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.