Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Inductive sheet impedance in transient simulation

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I am using the transient RF module in Comsol 4.4. I want to assign a sheet impedance, Zs, on a boundary such that Etan=Zs*Js, where Etan is the tangential electric field on the boundary and Js is the surface current density on that boundary. This expression is applicable in the frequency domain. To define a capacitive surface impedance in the time domain, I assigned a surface current density of Js=Cs*d(temw.Ex,t), where Cs is the surface capacitance.

However, I am running into trouble when I try to define an inductive impedance. In this case, we need temw.Ex=Ls*dJs/dt which leads to a surface current density of Js=timeint(0,t,temw.Ex)/L. This expression is not acceptable by Comsol.

My question is: How can I define an inductive sheet impedance on a boundary?

Thank you

1 Reply Last Post 11.12.2014, 18:51 GMT-5
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Nikolaos Chiotellis

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 10 years ago 11.12.2014, 18:51 GMT-5
In case someone wants to simulate a sheet inductance in a transient simulation, this is how:

On the boundary you need to be inductive, assign a "Boundary ODEs and DAEs (bode)" with

Dependent variable quantity: Surface current density (let's call this jsurf)
Source term quantity: Electric field

In the Distributed ODE section use:

Source Term: temw.Ex (or the appropriate electric field)
Damping or Mass Coefficient: The value of sheet inductance that is needed.
Mass Coefficient: 0

Initial values:
jsurf: 0
δjsurf/δt:0

Then go in the Electromagnetic Waves, Transient (temw) and add a surface current. The appropriate current density will be the jsurf we defined above.
In case someone wants to simulate a sheet inductance in a transient simulation, this is how: On the boundary you need to be inductive, assign a "Boundary ODEs and DAEs (bode)" with Dependent variable quantity: Surface current density (let's call this jsurf) Source term quantity: Electric field In the Distributed ODE section use: Source Term: temw.Ex (or the appropriate electric field) Damping or Mass Coefficient: The value of sheet inductance that is needed. Mass Coefficient: 0 Initial values: jsurf: 0 δjsurf/δt:0 Then go in the Electromagnetic Waves, Transient (temw) and add a surface current. The appropriate current density will be the jsurf we defined above.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.