Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Got a problem when doing parameterized geometry

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi all,

I'm trying to do a parameterized geometry (one boundary of the model is written as a wave like function), and I did a stationary analysis, after that I got the expected geometry I wanted.

The next step, in order to save the deformed geometry, I clicked "store solution" in "solver manager", actually I am not sure if it is the way to store the deformed mesh...and then added another application mode which is "piezo plane strain application mode", and I let the "solver manager" to use store solution to solve, and did the Eigenfrequency analysis, and now comes the weird parts:

1. Actually the "deformed mesh" Eigenfrequency is expected to be a big difference from the "undeformed mesh", but they are almost the same, I'm not sure if it came from the "store solution".

2. I wanted to see the total displacement of the surface plot, however the colorful surface plot disappeared, instead I only can see the geometry boundary in the post processing.

Could someone help me out? Thanks in advance.

3 Replies Last Post 22.04.2010, 02:51 GMT-4
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 21.04.2010, 15:01 GMT-4
Hi

"store solution" stores the results, not the mesh, in the sens that you can use it as a geometry. For that you must use the "mesh - create geometry from mesh"

try it out on a simple case first, to get used to all the settings and their effect

ANd then note that the dispalcement in eigenfrequency mode are relative and normalised in such a way that its only the frequency and the "shape" that has a relevant information, Comsol can say 12m deformation for a 1mm long part, as such it's nonses, but it's correct, that is not the absolute value but the shape, so you can qualitatively compare shapes but not their amplitudes.

hope this helps
Have fun Comsoling
Ivar

Hi "store solution" stores the results, not the mesh, in the sens that you can use it as a geometry. For that you must use the "mesh - create geometry from mesh" try it out on a simple case first, to get used to all the settings and their effect ANd then note that the dispalcement in eigenfrequency mode are relative and normalised in such a way that its only the frequency and the "shape" that has a relevant information, Comsol can say 12m deformation for a 1mm long part, as such it's nonses, but it's correct, that is not the absolute value but the shape, so you can qualitatively compare shapes but not their amplitudes. hope this helps Have fun Comsoling Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 22.04.2010, 02:16 GMT-4
Ivar,

Thank you very much for your valuable reply. I am so appreciated that we newbies can always get help from an expert like you. Since COMSOLing is not really easy...
Ivar, Thank you very much for your valuable reply. I am so appreciated that we newbies can always get help from an expert like you. Since COMSOLing is not really easy...

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 22.04.2010, 02:51 GMT-4
Hi

well you know a few years ago I was in the same situation as you, but I hope there will be many others soon to give usefull responses (I learn a lot, at least in the beginning)

Have fun Comsoling
Ivar
Hi well you know a few years ago I was in the same situation as you, but I hope there will be many others soon to give usefull responses (I learn a lot, at least in the beginning) Have fun Comsoling Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.