Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Control Volume Finite Element Method (CVFEM)

Christoph Schneeberger

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi there!

My background is the modeling of resin flow in fabrication processes for fiber reinforced plastics (composites). This can be viewed as fluid flow through porous media.
Basic simulations are very simple, since the basic flow behavior follows Darcy's law, which is already implemented in COMSOL in the Subsurface Flow Module. Also, unsaturated flow (e.g. flow front propagation during a resin injection process) can be simulated using the Richards' equation module.

However, research in this area has made use of many different numerical methods, each tailored for specific needs.
One of those is the Control Volume Finite Element Method (CVFEM). The control volumes are generated inside the regular mesh, where each volume contains only one node of the mesh. Pressure (as dependent variable) is calculated on the nodes and therefore each control volume has an assigned pressure value. Flow is then characterized from volume to volume, since there is a discrete pressure gradient at each volume boundary.
This method facilitates e.g. flow front tracking, since the time step is simply adjusted, so that only one more volume is filled for this time step.

I was wondering if this method can somehow be applied in COMSOL or if there is already a module for it which I haven't found yet. So far, I only found the level set and the phase field methods implemented to track multiple phase interfaces.

0 Replies Last Post 01.10.2014, 06:46 GMT-4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Christoph Schneeberger

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.