Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Axial Symmetry BC in the Electric Currents interface: how is it implemented?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

In the documentation under the topic "Physics Axial Symmetry Node" it says "The condition on the symmetry axis is typically a zero Neumann or no-flux condition.", but I'm wondering whether this is scaled by the conductivity in the Electric Currents interface.

Equation View doesn't show any equations for this node.

In my case, I have the conductivity in the radial direction equal to zero. But the convergence near the axis is poor, and I suspect that it's because there is a conflict:
• The PDE wants a certain kind of shape for the dependent variable field (voltage).
• The Axial Symmetry BC seems to be trying to get the slope of the voltage in the radial direction to be flat approaching the axis. (Even though the conductivity there is zero, i.e. no current flows.)

By the way, on this thread ( www.comsol.com/community/forums/general/thread/6598/ )
there is discussion that this partial derivative should be zero on an axis, which is true in most cases, but not in my case (i.e. when the conductivity is zero, the flux is always zero, whatever the gradient, and the condition always holds). It seems to me that "Axial Symmetry" is trying to constrain the gradient, rather than the flux.

But I've ran out of ways I know of figuring out exactly what Axial Symmetry BC is doing...

-- Evgeni.org

0 Replies Last Post 20.09.2014, 01:23 GMT-4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Evgeni Sergeev

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.