Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Calculate Electric Fields from Magnetic Fields Single-Turn Coil?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello all,

This is my first post here. I'm relativly new to Comsol, but have been working with it for a couple months now.

I've extensively used the Single-Turn Coil capability in MF, but am now wanting to also calculate the electric fields in addition to the magnetic fields produced by the coil. I have tried to get a similar simulation going using Magnetic and Electric Fields (MEF), but have been unable to do so thus far. I have tried to implement a port to apply the current excitation, but had trouble. I understand that the port may have to connect two domains with impedance boundary conditions. I was having trouble selecting the appropriate domains for the various MEF requirements and removing domains/boundaries from the standard constitutive relations.

Is there a simple way to add physics to my current MF simulations with Single-Turn Coil excitations that will also calculate electric fields?

Thanks in advance.

Marc

5 Replies Last Post 02.06.2016, 08:52 GMT-4
Edgar J. Kaiser Certified Consultant

Posted: 10 years ago 18.09.2014, 13:26 GMT-4

MF does calculate induced elecric fields. Just check the available quantities in post processing

Cheers
Edgar

--
Edgar J. Kaiser
emPhys Physical Technology
www.emphys.com
MF does calculate induced elecric fields. Just check the available quantities in post processing Cheers Edgar -- Edgar J. Kaiser emPhys Physical Technology http://www.emphys.com

Posted: 10 years ago 18.09.2014, 13:33 GMT-4
Hi Edgar.

Thanks for the response. Comsol does give the option to select electric fields or magnetic fields in the MF processing, but the electric fields come up as all 0s. In other words, the option is there but the calculations don't seem to be happening.

I hope I am doing something wrong.

Marc
Hi Edgar. Thanks for the response. Comsol does give the option to select electric fields or magnetic fields in the MF processing, but the electric fields come up as all 0s. In other words, the option is there but the calculations don't seem to be happening. I hope I am doing something wrong. Marc

Edgar J. Kaiser Certified Consultant

Posted: 10 years ago 18.09.2014, 13:41 GMT-4

Are you using AC or DC current in the coil?

--
Edgar J. Kaiser
emPhys Physical Technology
www.emphys.com
Are you using AC or DC current in the coil? -- Edgar J. Kaiser emPhys Physical Technology http://www.emphys.com

Posted: 10 years ago 18.09.2014, 14:00 GMT-4
Oops. Yes, I had been using the stationary condition prior to this. I guess I should switch to a frequency domain approach and retry.
Oops. Yes, I had been using the stationary condition prior to this. I guess I should switch to a frequency domain approach and retry.

Posted: 8 years ago 02.06.2016, 08:52 GMT-4
are there any static electric fields produced in a single turn coil ? if yes could you please let me know, what is the reason for static electric fields.
are there any static electric fields produced in a single turn coil ? if yes could you please let me know, what is the reason for static electric fields.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.