Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Acoustic Module: Plane wave radiation and sound soft boundary

Dr. Mohmmad Wajid Acoustic Signal Processing

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I would be thankful if you answer the following queries regarding acoustic module.
1. For a time dependent analysis in acoustic module, there is a boundary condition “Plane wave radiation” under pressure acoustic and Transient option. Does this boundary condition will avoid all reflection from the boundary; does will it absorb the entire wave incident upon the boundary, irrespective of the angle of incident?

2. Also, what is the significance of sound soft boundary? Does it will absorb the entire wave incident upon the boundary?

1 Reply Last Post 17.09.2015, 10:51 GMT-4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Dr. Mohmmad Wajid

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 9 years ago 17.09.2015, 10:51 GMT-4
The sound soft boundary condition is where the pressure of the incident field drops to 0, at a short distance from the wall. In my experience it does reflect an incident wave, at an angle. The only way I've been able to successfully remove reflections interfering with my results is to use spherical PMLs around the source of my plane wave radiation. This PML will need to have a centre, which I designated as the centre of the sound soft material the wave was hitting. I have not done a great deal of investigating the angular dependence of the sound soft boundary condition, but I will investigate that now!
The sound soft boundary condition is where the pressure of the incident field drops to 0, at a short distance from the wall. In my experience it does reflect an incident wave, at an angle. The only way I've been able to successfully remove reflections interfering with my results is to use spherical PMLs around the source of my plane wave radiation. This PML will need to have a centre, which I designated as the centre of the sound soft material the wave was hitting. I have not done a great deal of investigating the angular dependence of the sound soft boundary condition, but I will investigate that now!

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.