Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

I am confused on material properties

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I just can't see any rhyme or reason to the material properties for various materials.

For example, I am trying to see how my model changes if I change the gas I use from helium, to regular air, to CO2. Particularly I need the speed of sound for those materials. Air has this:

cs(T[1/K])[m/s]

Which I take to be some function. I can copy that over to other materials, but I get an "unkown function: cs" error.

Secondly, I am getting an error for oxygen. Apparently I need to provide COMSOL with the Young's modulus and Poisson ratio for oxygen. I can't find that anywhere online, probably because those two values don't apply to gases really.

Back to the speed of sound thing for a second: since I'm doing an acoustic frequency sweep, I take it I can use a constant for the speed of sound at my given temperature? The static pressure remains constant as does the temperature, so I shouldn't need anything besides a constant, right?

1 Reply Last Post 29.08.2014, 10:32 GMT-4

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 10 years ago 29.08.2014, 10:32 GMT-4
If you unfold the 'air' node (click the small triangle in front of it) you will see that it has subnodes with further subnodes. Somewhere in this tree you will find the definition of the 'cs' function. You have to copy this also to the other material before it will work.

When does comsol ask for the Young's modulus and Poisson ratio?
If you unfold the 'air' node (click the small triangle in front of it) you will see that it has subnodes with further subnodes. Somewhere in this tree you will find the definition of the 'cs' function. You have to copy this also to the other material before it will work. When does comsol ask for the Young's modulus and Poisson ratio?

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.