Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Question about periodic boundary condition

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello.

I'm wondering what periodic boundary condition means.

I mean, I have a geometry which has clear symmetric with respect to xy plane.

I guess I really need to simulate just one of the half of the whole if I can apply symmetric condition to xy plane.

Ansys has that feature and in COMSOL, 'periodic boundary condition' has the same role to this.

Am I right?

If not, How do I apply that kind of condition to the symmetric plane?

4 Replies Last Post 29.08.2016, 10:29 GMT-4
Nagi Elabbasi Facebook Reality Labs

Posted: 10 years ago 11.08.2014, 11:19 GMT-4
Hi Donggyu,

COMSOL has a symmetry condition which you can apply to the boundaries on your symmetry plane. The periodic boundary conditions are more “advanced”. You should use them if you have a periodic structure or cyclic symmetry. There are several examples in the COMSOL Model Gallery on periodic structures (for example Model ID 1974).

Nagi Elabbasi
Veryst Engineering
Hi Donggyu, COMSOL has a symmetry condition which you can apply to the boundaries on your symmetry plane. The periodic boundary conditions are more “advanced”. You should use them if you have a periodic structure or cyclic symmetry. There are several examples in the COMSOL Model Gallery on periodic structures (for example Model ID 1974). Nagi Elabbasi Veryst Engineering

Posted: 10 years ago 11.08.2014, 22:30 GMT-4
Hello.

Thanks for reply!

And I have one somewhat stupid question. 'Where can I find symmetric boundary condition?'

I'm now using electrostatic model and only able to see 'periodic condition' rather than symmetric condition in the list of pop-up menu when I right-click on 'electrostatic'

I don't see any condition which name includes 'symmetric'

I'm suspecting that I just have to use 'periodic condition' but not sure since my model is not for infinite periodic.

Could you please give me more details?

Donggyu Jang
Hello. Thanks for reply! And I have one somewhat stupid question. 'Where can I find symmetric boundary condition?' I'm now using electrostatic model and only able to see 'periodic condition' rather than symmetric condition in the list of pop-up menu when I right-click on 'electrostatic' I don't see any condition which name includes 'symmetric' I'm suspecting that I just have to use 'periodic condition' but not sure since my model is not for infinite periodic. Could you please give me more details? Donggyu Jang

Posted: 10 years ago 13.08.2014, 08:21 GMT-4
I think you can only have symetry in a plane in an electrostatic model if the electric field lines near that plane are parallel to that plane. Such a symmetry is also achieved with the 'Zero Charge' condition I believe.
I think you can only have symetry in a plane in an electrostatic model if the electric field lines near that plane are parallel to that plane. Such a symmetry is also achieved with the 'Zero Charge' condition I believe.

Posted: 8 years ago 29.08.2016, 10:29 GMT-4
Dear Nagi Elabbasi

I have a question. Can Periodic Boundary Condition is used together with Symmetry Boundary Condition, in the case that the Symmetry BC removes one required boundary of Periodic BC ?

Best regards
Duc
Dear Nagi Elabbasi I have a question. Can Periodic Boundary Condition is used together with Symmetry Boundary Condition, in the case that the Symmetry BC removes one required boundary of Periodic BC ? Best regards Duc

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.