Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

applying em-waves to piezoelectric resonator terminal

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi

I want to apply electromagnetic waves to the "terminal" boundry condition of the piezoelectric material. The aim is to try and excite the piezoelectric material with em-waves instead of the terminal voltage. I am using the RF module to generate the waves and the PZ-module to simulate the piezoelectric resonator (which is a simple beam of silicon with PZT-5H on it). I need to couple the RF module to the PZ-module I guess. One way which I am trying to do is that for a certain freq the simulation first solves the electric field then (somehow) applies this electric field to the PZT. But its not making sense and I also dont really know how to do it. I also read somewhere that I could use an electric circuit but how can i use an electric circuit to combine and convert the em-waves being produced by the RF module to the voltage needed to drive the piezoelectric module.

Any ideas are welcome.

1 Reply Last Post 11.08.2014, 09:34 GMT-4

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 10 years ago 11.08.2014, 09:34 GMT-4
ppl any ideas are welcome. I cant believe that no one here would have any idea about this.

THanks

One way in my mind was to define an integral coupling variable. Perform a line integral of the resulting electric field over the edge of the PZT electrode and find the potential difference there and then provide this as the potential to the Piezoelectric devices module.

But it doesnt seem to be working at all. I can pass the variable but still there is no actuation of the PZT.

ppl any ideas are welcome. I cant believe that no one here would have any idea about this. THanks One way in my mind was to define an integral coupling variable. Perform a line integral of the resulting electric field over the edge of the PZT electrode and find the potential difference there and then provide this as the potential to the Piezoelectric devices module. But it doesnt seem to be working at all. I can pass the variable but still there is no actuation of the PZT.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.