Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Apply AC voltage to a Electrostatic model

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello Community,

In my model I have 3 metal ring in the air. I need to apply a 3 phase voltage sine wave to these rings. (each ring is connected to each phase). each phase has 120 degree phase shift. I've already created a electrostatic 3D model and simulate electric field in DC situation and works well. My problem is that I don't know how should I apply AC voltage to these rings. Any suggestion?

1 Reply Last Post 04.07.2014, 08:08 GMT-4

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago 04.07.2014, 08:08 GMT-4
AC voltage is no longer electrostatic. There will be time dependent electric fields which in turn make (by the Maxwell equations) for a time dependent magnetic field which in turn influence the electric fields and so forth. So you will need electromagnetics physics instead of electrostatics.
AC voltage is no longer electrostatic. There will be time dependent electric fields which in turn make (by the Maxwell equations) for a time dependent magnetic field which in turn influence the electric fields and so forth. So you will need electromagnetics physics instead of electrostatics.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.