Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Problems Solving Model - 2D Parallel Plate Waveguide w/Coupler

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

All,

I'm trying to model a 2D parallel-plate waveguide that has coupling structures attached to the parallel-plate (very similar to conical horn antennae). I want to simulate the waveguide using THz frequencies. In my experiment, the incoming THz pulse is TEM with the electric field polarization vertical (between the plates). The waveguide also operates in TEM, or the TM0 mode. I need to compute the coupling of the waveguide, assuming the THz beam (bandwidth 0 - 5 THz) enters the waveguide on the left and exits on the right.

I've tried building my model 2 ways:

1) Building the waveguide structure, then leaving only the negative space between the plates and trying to place the Port 1 directly on the left of the structure and Port 2 on the right

2) Enclosing the waveguide structure with a circle of air, combining the encapsulating air space with the negative space between the waveguide plates, and leaving the plates present while setting their material definition to be copper

I am using the Electromagnetic Waves physics for this simulation. In both cases, I am unable to compute anything for the final model, getting an error everytime.

I am rather new at this. I've tried looking through models on both the Model Exchange and those created by COMSOL and I haven't determined the source of the error, although I'm sure it's because I've set a definition wrong somewhere, likely in the physics portion of the program. I'd really appreciate any assistance anyone has to offer!

NOTE: I could not attach the second file with the encapsulating circle. The file size became too large, even when I deleted the mesh. But for reference, I placed a circle with a radius of 0.1 m at the (x,y) coordinates (0.015,0)m. I then used the Union function to combine the circle with the negative space left over from the Difference function and applied the Air material to it. I also adjusted the Difference function so that the plates of the PPWG were visible again, and then I applied the Copper material to them.

1 Reply Last Post 27.10.2014, 15:33 GMT-4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Alisha Shutler

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 10 years ago 27.10.2014, 15:33 GMT-4
I think you should use a domain for copper instead of using a boundary. You can see your copper layer is a perfect electric conductor in your file. That's not right.
I think you should use a domain for copper instead of using a boundary. You can see your copper layer is a perfect electric conductor in your file. That's not right.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.