Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Meshing with a parametric sweep

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I work with Comsol 4.4 solid mechanics.

I would like to compute a parametric sweep on a geometrical parameter, namely, the thickness of a material.

As this thickness varies from 0.2 mm to 1.5 mm, while the material piece is 30 cm long (looks like a plate), I have some trouble with the meshing : in order to keep a reasonnable number of elements in this material, I need to build really long and thin tetrahedric elements (at least far away from the area of interest). It's difficult to do, but I can manage to do it when the thickness of my material is fixed.

The problem is, when I try to compute the parametric sweep, it cannot compute a proper mesh for all the values of my thicknesses.

Is there a way to adapt the mesh to the different steps of my parametric sweep ? Maybe to define a mesh by hand for each step of the sweep ? Or is there any option for that kind of situations ?

Thank you !
Regards,
Astrid Billon.

1 Reply Last Post 18.06.2014, 09:39 GMT-4
Edgar J. Kaiser Certified Consultant

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago 18.06.2014, 09:39 GMT-4

Astrid,

you could try to parameterize the meshing as well, i.e. add geometry dependent scaling parameters to the mesh definitions.

Cheers
Edgar

--
Edgar J. Kaiser
emPhys Physical Technology
www.emphys.com
Astrid, you could try to parameterize the meshing as well, i.e. add geometry dependent scaling parameters to the mesh definitions. Cheers Edgar -- Edgar J. Kaiser emPhys Physical Technology http://www.emphys.com

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.