Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Magnetic Material Properties

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I need to add a material to my project that has different magnetic susceptibilities at different frequencies. In the study I use 1kHz to 1 MHz, and was wondering if theres a way to add the susceptibilities as a table or function of the frequency being used?

Thanks for any help.

6 Replies Last Post 13.06.2014, 13:15 GMT-4

Posted: 1 decade ago 12.06.2014, 07:14 GMT-4
Hi Gary,

In a property group subnode of the node of your material you can add function subnodes. You give them a name, and then in the property group node you can define model inputs, which also names the variable (for example 'freq') and then you can put 'output properties' in your property group for which you give the expression functionName(freq).
Hi Gary, In a property group subnode of the node of your material you can add function subnodes. You give them a name, and then in the property group node you can define model inputs, which also names the variable (for example 'freq') and then you can put 'output properties' in your property group for which you give the expression functionName(freq).

Posted: 1 decade ago 12.06.2014, 16:35 GMT-4
Thanks for the response, but I for the life of me can't find where this is.

I'll try to describe better what I want to do. I have a material that has a differing magnetic permeability depending of the frequency at which a coil is operating. I have these permeabilities in a table. What i've been trying is creating a global function (int1) that uses interpolation (cubic spline) to estimate these points. I then try to use the int1 function in the expression box when creating the new material. But I am receiving an error whenever I hit the compute button that the variable is not being evaluated.

Am I just doing this wrong or is there a much better method to it?

Thanks
Thanks for the response, but I for the life of me can't find where this is. I'll try to describe better what I want to do. I have a material that has a differing magnetic permeability depending of the frequency at which a coil is operating. I have these permeabilities in a table. What i've been trying is creating a global function (int1) that uses interpolation (cubic spline) to estimate these points. I then try to use the int1 function in the expression box when creating the new material. But I am receiving an error whenever I hit the compute button that the variable is not being evaluated. Am I just doing this wrong or is there a much better method to it? Thanks

Posted: 1 decade ago 13.06.2014, 02:43 GMT-4
You define your material properties in the physics interface or do you take them 'from material'?
You define your material properties in the physics interface or do you take them 'from material'?

Posted: 1 decade ago 13.06.2014, 11:51 GMT-4
I was trying to define them under the global definitions.
I was trying to define them under the global definitions.

Posted: 1 decade ago 13.06.2014, 12:32 GMT-4
I attached the file that I'm working with. I'm trying to define the permeability of material 3 using a table of values.
I attached the file that I'm working with. I'm trying to define the permeability of material 3 using a table of values.

Posted: 1 decade ago 13.06.2014, 13:15 GMT-4
Pretty sure I got it figured out. When calling the interpolation i was using just int1, not int1(freq).
Pretty sure I got it figured out. When calling the interpolation i was using just int1, not int1(freq).

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.