Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

individual shape function under "weak form PDE" ??

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi everybody,

I use "weak form PDE" within the "math mode" for solving the Navier-stokes equation.
I use 2D within xy-world.
Basically it works, though the linear part of the solution does not really converge.
My problem: I could not find a button, where I can specify a quadratic
shape function for velocity and temperature, but a linear one for the pressure.

For a "weak form" node, there is a "Global"-Item for discretisation, which is valid for the whole equation system. I have let it be quadratic, but for pressure I need a linear one.
I get fine contour lines for velocity and temperature, but the pressure contour lines are totally pixeled, I mean anyhow destroyed.
Also, to set a pressure boundary value (like zero) I would like to take only a point at the boundary, but the "weak form" node offers for Dirichlet conditions under 2D xy-world only boundary line segments.
Is this due to my unfortunate quadratic shape function of my pressure variable??

Thank you very much in advance!
Regards
Klaus

0 Replies Last Post 26.05.2014, 08:35 GMT-4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Klaus Boettcher

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.