Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Convergence problems simulating a thin film - structural mechanics coupling

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hey everybody!

My goal is to simulate the stresses during a load cycle in a bearing shell.

The problem:
I assembled a journal bearing in con-rod from which i cut off the major part so that the calculation time can be reduced and defined this as union. So I don't have to bother about contact problems. On the surface of the journal bearing I solve the hydrodynamic with help of the thin film module and a PDE which handles the equilibrium of an external force. On the top of the con-rod I fix the structure what seems to me as the best way. Assuming a rigid structure in the first case the simulation works fine until it reaches the physical borders when the time dependent load becomes to high and the fluid film breaks. Therefore I coupled the hydrodynamic with elastomechanic so that the bearing shell can deform and a higher load carrying capacity is possible.
Due to initial value problems I set up an extra study where I calculate an inital status, which acts as an inital solution for instationary time dependent main study.

I made first tests with small loads, checked how to link both physics best,... and it worked fine. Now I have the problem, that I can't reach convergence with the load I'd like to simulate.
The calculation takes very long and it stops at 4 %. Until this point the convergence behaviour looks very good but then it changes, see attached screenshots, and I can't figure out why. In my opinion its not a physical problem because at the time, when the calculation stops the maximum fluid pressure is about 20 bar, the minimum filmthickness at about 20µm whereby the stresses are quite low. I think the problem must be the way the solvers work. I dont have enough experience to cope with this kind of problem. Thats why I would like to ask help from u.

I add some screenshots of the model so u can imagine how it looks like and a screenshots of one of the two solvers. (both have the same specification)

With kind regards,
Philipp

1 Reply Last Post 06.05.2014, 10:04 GMT-4

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago 06.05.2014, 10:04 GMT-4
The error message I get is "Recoverable error in residual, but solver could not recover."
I saw already a post related to this message, but that didn't help me. Probably someone already has some experience with this error?

I'm thankful for any help.

BR
The error message I get is "Recoverable error in residual, but solver could not recover." I saw already a post related to this message, but that didn't help me. Probably someone already has some experience with this error? I'm thankful for any help. BR

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.