Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Space charge limited conduction

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi all,

I'm trying to model space charge limited conduction (SCLC) in insulator using COMSOL. The idea of SCLC is that the charges (electrons or holes) are injected from metal contact (ohmic contact) into insulator and there will be a distribution of charge density along the insulator. Due to this distribution, the electric field will not be the same everywhere, and the current-voltage relation of the insulator will not be linear.
I was wondering if there is a way to model this behavior in COMSOL. I tried semiconductor module, electric current module and electrostatic module, none of them can give me the non-linear I-V behavior. I'd appreciate it if anyone have experience modelling similar stuffs using COMSOL and would show me the way to do it. Thank you so much for attention.

2 Replies Last Post 13.12.2016, 12:18 GMT-5
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Min Xu

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Carmen Palacios Berraquero

Posted: 10 years ago 28.10.2014, 05:57 GMT-4
Dear Min Xu,

I was wondering if you have found a way of modelling this yet with COMSOL? I am doing a slightly different thing, but also want to use ohmic contacts to inject electron and holes...

Thanks a lot!
Dear Min Xu, I was wondering if you have found a way of modelling this yet with COMSOL? I am doing a slightly different thing, but also want to use ohmic contacts to inject electron and holes... Thanks a lot!

Posted: 8 years ago 13.12.2016, 12:18 GMT-5
Has anyone here had any luck with their simulations? Please post an example. Thank you.
Has anyone here had any luck with their simulations? Please post an example. Thank you.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.