Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Smaller element size caused problem in Acoustic-Shell Interaction

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I found an interesting result from COMSOL 4.4 Acoustic-Shell Interaction. Let me describe it here:

I have a 1 square meter cubic whose all 6 walls were set to Sound Hard Boundary except a A2 size window in the front wall where a 2.5 mm thick Aluminum Plate was mounted with 4 edges Fixed Constrained. Its a simple set-up. Then I just add the Acoustic-Shell Interaction physics and set the plate as the Exterior Shell. And I do a Eigenfrequency analysis.

Then comes the interesting thing. If I set the mesh size to "Normal", COMSOL will give out a reasonable result with the first coupling mode caused by the plate around 95Hz. But if I set the mesh size to "fine", there will be several local modes under 95Hz, which should not be real.

Why should this happen? How can I get a more accurate result for the acoustic-structure interaction analysis in COMSOL?

1 Reply Last Post 15.03.2014, 23:03 GMT-4

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago 15.03.2014, 23:03 GMT-4
But if I do a Frequency Domain frequency sweep excitation, the result won't be sensitive to the element size any more... Who can give me some clue about how should this happen?
But if I do a Frequency Domain frequency sweep excitation, the result won't be sensitive to the element size any more... Who can give me some clue about how should this happen?

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.