Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

positive column 2d

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I am trying to create a plasma simulation using a gas mixture of argon and oxygen and nitrogen. To start I took the positive column 2d model and changed the cross section from Argon to Oxygen. Then i simply tried to run it again with the new gas. It fails to converge and fails at approximately 3.5E-7S. I have tried lowering the voltage with no success. I am at a lost as to what the problem would be.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Andrew

2 Replies Last Post 29.03.2015, 19:26 GMT-4
Luke Gritter Certified Consultant

Posted: 1 decade ago 11.02.2014, 13:57 GMT-5
Andrew,

Many things can cause non-convergence of a plasma analysis. For someone just beginning plasma modeling, errors in the physics setup are probably the most common problem. An insufficiently fine mesh, the specification of extreme operating conditions, or the use of unrealistic physical properties can also cause problems.

If you have version 4.3, 4.3a, or 4.3b, take a look at the oxygen_gec_icp model in the Model Library (under Inductively Coupled Plasmas) to see an implementation of an argon/oxygen plasma. If you adapt this setup to a DC plasma, remember to account for secondary electron emission in the surface reactions.

--
Luke Gritter
AltaSim Technologies
Andrew, Many things can cause non-convergence of a plasma analysis. For someone just beginning plasma modeling, errors in the physics setup are probably the most common problem. An insufficiently fine mesh, the specification of extreme operating conditions, or the use of unrealistic physical properties can also cause problems. If you have version 4.3, 4.3a, or 4.3b, take a look at the oxygen_gec_icp model in the Model Library (under Inductively Coupled Plasmas) to see an implementation of an argon/oxygen plasma. If you adapt this setup to a DC plasma, remember to account for secondary electron emission in the surface reactions. -- Luke Gritter AltaSim Technologies

Posted: 9 years ago 29.03.2015, 19:26 GMT-4
Hi everyone, I have a question please;
I am working on DBD model in N2-He gas mixtures using Plasma DC Discharge module. For exemple if I take a mixture of 40%N2 with 60%He , how can I specify the quantity or the percentage of N2 and He in the mixture ?

thank you
Hi everyone, I have a question please; I am working on DBD model in N2-He gas mixtures using Plasma DC Discharge module. For exemple if I take a mixture of 40%N2 with 60%He , how can I specify the quantity or the percentage of N2 and He in the mixture ? thank you

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.